Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What mufflers are you running?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:41 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

These are my favorite setups....... 1)Muffler delete/catted x 2)Pypes Mid Muffler/o/r x 3)borla stingers/o/r H or X 3)boomtubes/o/h (with resonators).........or if your just looking for an a/b I would suggest the Macs......sound amazing with the stock midpipe (that signature mustang sound) and are probably the loudest a/b you can get.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

MAC-SOLD lol my dad loves it...a few weeks and we will place the order..thanks for the help guys
Old 09-16-2008, 11:50 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I have heard/read that MACs drone alot, but I also read that Maganpacks drone alot. I have maganpacks and they drone, but not as bad as anticpated, so perhaps MACs will not be that bad.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:59 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Lethal,

if possible you and pops should try to listen and ride in a few stangs equiped with the mufflers of choice. the drone issue can be bothersome to many. I had it and it annoyed the crap out of me and I took off Magnapaks to put corsa's on. you cant get that from a sound clip
Old 09-17-2008, 06:41 AM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

yeah, drone is a big issue with a lot of systems. I had the JBA and there was not much drone and then i switched to the pypes mid muffler system and there is next to zero drone but it comes to life when you want it to. You should atleast check it out, good luck
Old 09-17-2008, 02:28 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Drone doesn't bother me any. Macs do sound great with stock pipes. I would look into the stingers for sure though.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:43 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

pypes mid mufflers are the best sound, but the fit isn't the best and they are difficult to install compared to the rest.

Don't get the borla stingers! The drone will be too much for your Dad.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:52 PM
goldenglory18
2nd Gear Member

$400 huh...i would look into the GTA's or the Pypes midmuffler system.

Ill let you know how the pypes sound in about a week!
Old 09-17-2008, 03:48 PM
flogduh
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
pypes mid mufflers are the best sound, but the fit isn't the best and they are difficult to install compared to the rest.

Don't get the borla stingers! The drone will be too much for your Dad.
Moose - interesting point of view - I've got the stingers and I'm 48 yrs old (I assume the dude's dad isn't too much older than me). The only drone that is an issue is where you're running at about 2000 rpm. Depending on your gear set up, that may not be a problem. With a 3.31 rear, I had a problem only in 5th gear, since 2000 rpm was right at 78 mph - highway cruising speed. Once I stepped up to a 3.73 gear set, what drone there is falls at a speed in each gear at which I rarely drive.....the sound of the stingers, in my opinion, is more to my liking than MACs, Pypes, Basanni, Corsas, Flowmasters and Magnaflows. I've heard everyone of these on cars in my mustang club here in CA. But then again - it's all a matter of individual preference..

Last edited by flogduh; 09-17-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:08 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by flogduh
Moose - interesting point of view - I've got the stingers and I'm 48 yrs old (I assume the dude's dad isn't too much older than me). The only drone that is an issue is where you're running at about 2000 rpm. Depending on your gear set up, that may not be a problem. With a 3.31 rear, I had a problem only in 5th gear, since 2000 rpm was right at 78 mph - highway cruising speed. Once I stepped up to a 3.73 gear set, what drone there is falls at a speed in each gear at which I rarely drive.....the sound of the stingers, in my opinion, is more to my liking than MACs, Pypes, Basanni, Corsas, Flowmasters and Magnaflows. I've heard everyone of these on cars in my mustang club here in CA
I owned the stingers for 5,000 miles. The drone is stupid annoying IMO. The drone annoyed me and my passengers ever time I crossed that rpm range, so unless you are wide open throttle everywhere, it is still annoying.

After 5,000 miles, the stingers were just to loud for my taste. They have a nice deep tone to them, but the drone is ridiculous.

My car is my daily driver and I just couldn't stand it any more. Forget about driving with the windows up after a 12 hour day at work.

I was afraid to step on the gas, next to a cop, with the stingers on the car.

Some people like really loud exhausts, just not me. The pypes mid muffler has a nice deep tone, no drone and it's not to loud.

Quick Reply: What mufflers are you running?