Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple SC Damaged when shipped.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 10:13 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Advice? there is no advice. His only option is to recoup his losses. Whipple doesn't sell replacement parts for situations like this do they? his only option is to call those boys but even then I don't know if I'd put it on my car. His shafts/compressors are probably damaged and under pressure/boost that thing will probably grenade off his block. Help is a mute point.

Originally Posted by MexGT
Damage is done already, just try to give some advices.

Anyway, its 170 dlls for a new pulley I think, I doubt the snout is damaged, but i´d take it to a shop to check it out.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:42 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Well I watched the video and I still am not sure if it is just the pulley that needs to be replaced. Hopefully you get enough money to have the whole compressor itself replaced at cost to UPS for dropping the S/C but I feel that might not be the case. Keep anything and everything on file that you get from the seller/UPS/and the documents you have showing the damage. Follow up closely with UPS and the seller as I believe it is the seller that takes care of everything in this matter. I also think this is not a quick fix and may take a month or 2 for the claim to actually pay out. Patience is necessary and I would ask that the unit get sent to Whipple for their estimate on the cost for fixing or replacing the damaged unit. Is that the GEN 1 or 2 unit?....hopefully it is the GEN 1 unit (classic difference is the GEN 2 does NOT have the Whipple emblem/sticker on the CAI) and the GEN 2 is way more efficient! Maybe they will replace with that unit. I had a claim with UPS for a center channel speaker and I documented everything with pics and the condition of the box it came in and UPS had a rep come out and look at the part and contacted Polk Audio and they replaced the whole Cabinet for the center channel (CS1000P) to the tune of 700 dollars! I know for a fact it did not hinder in anyway the sound of the system and I pocketed the money that UPS paid out! Maybe this will be the case for you! Keep us posted!
Old 09-23-2008, 06:24 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

That stinks, At first I was amazed though because when whipple packs these things, it is solid. I was amazed at the care and amount of packaging.

This is the chance you take when you buy used. Sorry seams like the seller is working with you and UPS should stand behind its service so i hope it works out.

At a minimum I would send the unit back to whipple to have it inspected.

I would also change the oil in it just in case. Probably not needed but it will be easier to do now then when it is on the car later.

Good luck
Old 09-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

That sucks. And I want to say that UPS has like 60-90 days to clear up the claim. Man, that blows. I would find a shop in your area that you can get it looked at and get a repair quote.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:43 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by loots06
It looks like the pulley sustained the most damaged. I'm trying to determine if the rest of the front of the unit is damaged as well. Is it supposed to turn freely or could I just replace the pulley.
The pulley is definitely bent, not sure if the shaft is bent or not, but it looks like it from the video. It won't spin freely like a wheel would, but it should spin easily with your hand. I could spin mine by hand and it would keep spinning for a second.

I would just get a price from whipple for a new snout and hope that UPS will come through. Did ups pack it or did the seller? If UPS didn't packaged it, then they'll try and weasel their way out of paying.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:15 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blueherd02gt
Advice? there is no advice. His only option is to recoup his losses. Whipple doesn't sell replacement parts for situations like this do they? his only option is to call those boys but even then I don't know if I'd put it on my car. His shafts/compressors are probably damaged and under pressure/boost that thing will probably grenade off his block. Help is a mute point.
Whipple must stock replacement parts and they'll even sell you different length snouts for a custom application. All you need do is call and talk to them, they are very helpful.

I think you are overreacting with the grenade off the block comment. If it was dropped hard enough to damage the internals, then the pulley would have been snapped off.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:41 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

After rereading my comments and looking at the design of my blower I'd say you are correct. I'm a hope for the best yet prepare for the worst kind of guy. I still think that his best option is to recoup his monetary losses from ups, hopefully the seller bought $4000 worth of insurance. I've had bad luck fabricating prefabbed equipment is why I said what I did. I've never caught a break on situations like this. Maybe the boys at whipple can lead him in the right direction.

Originally Posted by moosestang
Whipple must stock replacement parts and they'll even sell you different length snouts for a custom application. All you need do is call and talk to them, they are very helpful.

I think you are overreacting with the grenade off the block comment. If it was dropped hard enough to damage the internals, then the pulley would have been snapped off.

Last edited by blueherd02gt; 09-23-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:30 PM
TDC71
1st Gear Member

My two cents say the shaft is bent too. Someone else might have stated that, but its definately not just a pulley. Definately do as others have said and send it to the manufacturer for check out. I cant say it would or wouldnt but grenading crossed my mind too. Those suckers spin at high rpm's and anything out of balance that spins that fast is a bad mix. Im a 20 year auto tech, not on high performance mind you but have seen water pumps with this same symptom and they wiped out their bearings and threw belts.

Last edited by TDC71; 09-23-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:19 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Loots, keep us updated! How close are you to whipples shop? I'd just drive it over there and get their opinion on what damage there is if any. Obviously the pulley is tweaked.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:34 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

updates please!

Quick Reply: Whipple SC Damaged when shipped.