Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

basic SC comparison question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 06:42 PM
da75

Default basic SC comparison question

hey everyone.. new to the forum here.

Ive had several mustangs and am familiar with bolt-ons, but superchargers (other than what came stock in my 04 Cobra) are new to me.

Considering this car is my daily driver, I'd like to decide on a supercharger that makes good sense as far as engine-life for a daily driver and not being too over-the-top.

I know the roushcharger is very conservative (like 145hp) and they pick up warranty coverage for you. But you only get like 5psi I think? For that much money it seems like a bad value.

My question is .. working up from the roush.. which supercharger(s) would be the next safest bets as far as engine-life and not turning it into a complete gas guzzler? I'd like to keep the car a while.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:58 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

saleen vi stage II

welcome
Old 10-10-2008, 07:12 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

some you may want to consider: whipple, saleen, kenne bell, paxton, vortech, procharger. which one is safest, idk, only time will tell. they will all guzzle gas if you let them.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:20 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Its all about the right foot.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:34 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Its all about what you want. I think right now the 3.4 whipple is the king of the SC's, but that might be a little much for a daily driver for some. Personally I am extremely happy with my Saleen SC w/475hp upgrade. The only issue I have had have been with my POS specs II clutch setup, which has now been replace with a McLeod RST, but I have never had an issue with my SC.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:47 PM
07BOSSGT_S197
2nd Gear Member

Ford Racing and have the dealership install it. Warranty and its a fairly conservative tune @ 9psi I believe. Just be ready for using nothing but 91-93 octane only.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Intercooled whipple. Most complete kit in my humble, unbiased opinion.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:15 PM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

It seems like there is a new which is better or compare this supercharger thread every day but i'll give my 2cent...

I know everybody is going to say what supercharger they have and such but in this case I think a centri is the best bet. With a centri you can have the cake and eat it..Great driveability on the street (stock otherwise until you want boost/boost kicks at 3-4K), good gas milage...amazing sound under boost...in some cases less stress on the engine compared to a twinscrew...less $$$ than most forms of forced induction..they make good power.. and they are proven technology which has been extremely reliable in my case...Centri superchargers- Procharger, paxton, vortech. \. I average 19-21 mpg city driving, better than when i was stock..makes no sense to me...nuff said..

I love twinscrews and there technology is amazing but when I was looking for the right supercharger the centri better suited my driving style. Everybody is different though...The only advantage a twinscrew has over a centri is torque lower in the rpm band ( instant torque they call it), which can be good and bad , depending on the situation...If I were to go twinscrew I would go whipple for sure.They are the most complete setup IMO, and they have a pretty cool whine under boost..

Last edited by SONICBOOST3; 10-10-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:43 AM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

I second the above^ It was a toss up between whipple and paxton...
Old 10-11-2008, 08:54 AM
da75

Thanks everyone for your input. And thanks for no UTFSE replies!

Sonicboost - wouldnt you think the reason you are getting good mpg is because of the centrifugal design? You are making your boost at high rpms.
That brings up another thing.. my car is an automatic, so not sure if I would want to go centrifugal or not.

I guess my question should have been this .. I only want to achieve a safe 400 - 420 Rwhp in an automatic transmission daily driver. Which SC should I go with?

Quick Reply: basic SC comparison question