Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Manual or Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 03:12 AM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Manual or Automatic

TriAx shifter isn't a problem with manuals either if you wait for the Pro 5-O. [8D]
Old 05-23-2005, 07:36 PM
Richard6669
1st Gear Member

If you're going to go over ~450rwhp you should start thinkin about finding a new trans.
So if i bought a supercharger then i would possibly have to get a new transmission since it would be over 450 rwhp(considering i would have an automatic)
any ideas what a new transmission would cost?
Old 05-23-2005, 08:29 PM
Brain
1st Gear Member

From what I've read here, the auto tranny is only supposed to handle up to 400 rwhp, while the manual should be able to go up to around 450. I understand the SC makers are having to detune them to work with automatics, I'm not sure if any have been released yet. If you plan on going too crazy, you may want to go with a manual.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:01 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Shifty

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

Stock vs stock, Motor Trend got identical acceleration 0-60 times auto and manual. In my world that means in my hands the auto is faster b/c my ego isn't so big that I think I can shift a manual tranny as fast as an automobile magazine editor/ professional driver. Even if years of practice made me THAT good the 1-2 tenths of a second defference would'nt be noticable.
Hey lets think for a second. Manual 3.55 gears, Auto 3.3x gears. I CAN'T IMAGINE WHICH IS GOING TO BE FASTER!!! Ford programs the auto so it shifts for best fuel economy, not for performance. The auto is very laggy and I could feel a huge difference when I drove the auto compared to a manual. If you got a good tune on the auto and some better gears, it would be much closer.

Magazine writers are not hired because they can drive, they are hired because they can write.
Mine shifts at red line everytime. It doesn't shift for good fuel economy unless you aren't in it. Mine also will run 0-60 in 5.08 seconds according to a G-Tech. That was before any modification. My sig says what I ran, that was with a 2.3 60 ft. I have no lag in my auto. Before the tune it ran just fine as well.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:47 PM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shifty

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

Stock vs stock, Motor Trend got identical acceleration 0-60 times auto and manual. In my world that means in my hands the auto is faster b/c my ego isn't so big that I think I can shift a manual tranny as fast as an automobile magazine editor/ professional driver. Even if years of practice made me THAT good the 1-2 tenths of a second defference would'nt be noticable.
Hey lets think for a second. Manual 3.55 gears, Auto 3.3x gears. I CAN'T IMAGINE WHICH IS GOING TO BE FASTER!!! Ford programs the auto so it shifts for best fuel economy, not for performance. The auto is very laggy and I could feel a huge difference when I drove the auto compared to a manual. If you got a good tune on the auto and some better gears, it would be much closer.

Magazine writers are not hired because they can drive, they are hired because they can write.
If you don't own an Auto how can you speak intelligently about one? If you knew about the current auto then you would know they shift at 6000 RPM in drive. They also have less RPM drop from first to second than a stick. Cause I know what the ratios are in both. How fast do you think a stick will be on 235 series tires when you drop the clutch. The auto does not spin off the line so it applies as much throttle as it needs till it can go WOT. My times speak for themselves. This time was with only a 1000 miles on the motor. I will go up against a stick part for part any day. Oh and my drink in the cup holder doesn't get in the way of shifting either. Not to mention I can hold my girls hand while I am spanking your @ss in drive.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:52 PM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Richard6669

If you're going to go over ~450rwhp you should start thinkin about finding a new trans.
So if i bought a supercharger then i would possibly have to get a new transmission since it would be over 450 rwhp(considering i would have an automatic)
any ideas what a new transmission would cost?
Try this link and read about the Automatic in these cars. These guys are pro's and will be testing the limits of the 5 speed auto. http://www.alternativeauto.com
Old 05-23-2005, 10:02 PM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Brain

From what I've read here, the auto tranny is only supposed to handle up to 400 rwhp, while the manual should be able to go up to around 450. I understand the SC makers are having to detune them to work with automatics, I'm not sure if any have been released yet. If you plan on going too crazy, you may want to go with a manual.

Hp is not what kills a tranny... it is torque. Not to mention the engine block in our cars are made of aluminum. It was pirated from the Mach I. The rods and pistons in this engine can not handle much more than 10 lbs of boost. SO it is not just the tranny that can't handle the power.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:03 AM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

Tony, the car looks great. I just switched my exhuast to loud-mouth. I definitely recommend it.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:12 AM
Scaught
2nd Gear Member

A manual tranny gives the driver more control. Some would say it is funner. Down shifting is a plus if you are going to race on more than just a flat 1/4 mile track. I live in the Seattle area and the terrain is mostly hilly and curvy. But for me selecting the Manual tranny was more just about the feel of it, throwing the stick. My everyday driver is an automatic and having two would bore me to death. Boring daily driver, auto. Afterwork/weekend/road tripper, MANUAL.

It's just funner.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:53 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

What's "funner" is driving the Mustang everyday!!!

Quick Reply: Manual or Automatic