Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My project

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 04:27 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Skip the K&N intake and get a JLT or C&L with a tune to match it. The C&L racer and a bigger throttle body will do you no good. The engine can only suck so much air, and the regular C&L or JLT intakes are already as big as they can get. The only reason they would need to be bigger is to accomodate a supercharger or turbocharger, and in that case you wouldn't be using the C&L Racer intake anyway.

For power, I would go with:
The JLT intake and tune from Brenspeed $550
Any of the long tube headers $1000ish
4.10 gears (gears don't ADD power, but they will make your car feel a whole lot faster.) $700 or so installed
Old 10-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Cyruss

You'r right about the CAI. (I always think to big ^^)

I agree that the car will fell a lot faster with a 4.1 gears but I will "lost" some mph ...
What will be the max speed with that gears ?

I know that the V6 is "limited Electrically" at 120mph (5th gear@3500rpm), does the stock GT is also limited Electrically ?
Old 10-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Cyruss

I don't understand the price difference between some CAI.

C&L Street Air (83mm mass air housing) : 350$
C&L Race Air (95mm ...) : 270$
JLT Air Intake (89mm ...) : 195$

If the JLT is better, why it's near half the price of the C&L Street ? Because the "design" of the pipe is different ?
Old 10-13-2008, 05:50 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Unless you plan to drive 150 mph around town, you shouldn't have any problems. The aerodynamics of the car will come into play long before you start outrunning your gear. I am guessing somewhere around 150 mph even with the 4.10s. Someone on here has a chart that explained it all. Bottom line is that you won't be hindered by the 4.10s. Besides, if you are driving 150 mph you're out of your mind. Might as well feel all the power down in the lower speeds.

The JLT is cheaper because it is just a plastic tube, where the C&L is cast metal. The C&L Racer is also plastic, and it works fine, but the size makes no difference at all.

I would buy the intake and tuner together, from Brenspeed or Bama or some reputable tuning company. And don't put the intake on the car without using a tuner.

Here is a link to Brenspeed's tuner packages:
http://www.brenspeed.com/05-08-musta...r-package.html
Old 10-13-2008, 10:48 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

^+1 w/ the gears. How often you going go past 130 anyway? You prob can through it into 5th and keep going anyway. Don't forget how much faster your going get to ur top speed, Ur going need a lot of highway for those stock 3.31 clogs.

You can google BAMACHIPS, but I do believe that's their website is BAMACHIPS.COM. I have a used JLT intake and BAMA tune right now, so fair, pretty good, I have to take another stab at my heat sheild for its not fitting right (The chances of this being my fault and not the design are very very high)

You should google bolt on 05 GT, I believe muscle mustang and fast fords did a whole issue on bolt on S197, and they got a GT w/ dr tires, tune, C&L Intake, sypder shaft, one or two more things to run a 12.5 in the 1/4 mile w/ a 1.71 60ft...not bad
Old 10-14-2008, 04:23 AM
Cyruss

Ok for the CAI. I will buy all that stuff at the same time so I will go for the email tune and give them all the modifications (CAI, headers....) so they can give me the right tune.

Concerning the gears, thanks for your point of view. And I see that the tune can also correct the speedometer if I setup the 4.1gears.

Thanks for the Bamachips website link.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:04 AM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Actually you don't need to get the email tune. When you call to order or order online they will ask you what modifications you have done to the car before they write the tune for you. Also, Brenspeed (probably bama too, not sure) offers free upgrades to their tunes, so long as you buy from them.

For example, let's say you just wanted a CAI and tuner for now and you buy it from them. Well in a few months you want to add headers and do a cam swap. If you buy the headers and cams from them, they will email you a new tune for free.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:12 AM
Cyruss

ahh great !

Concerning the gears, you have the MOTIVE one, is there any difference with the Ford Racing ?

If the grey is yours, you have some nice drilled brake dics ! it's the stock size ?
Old 10-14-2008, 06:04 AM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Yes I bought the Motive gears because they were cheaper. A lot of people complain about Motive gears because sometimes they make a lot of noise. Mine are silent though. If you want to be sure they don't whine, get the Ford ones.

The brakes I have are from Rotorpros and are the same size as the stock brakes. Very easy replacement.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Balys
1st Gear Member

If you don't mind spending a few extra bucks then I would go with the MGW STS over the Hurst. Just a personal opinion though.

Quick Reply: My project