Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Port matching stock intake to CMCV deletes

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 10:26 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Thanks Hammer. I figured what the hey, I've got the thing off there and from what I've seen theres a good couple of eighth inches that could come off around the ports. If I pick up another 10hp with the deletes and 2-3 with the porting it's worth the $300 I'll be dropping on them.

And it's all part of the larger plan of adding the centri s/c later...
Old 10-23-2008, 10:50 AM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

Here's my thought.. get the cams done, wait for C&L to come out with their new intake. It's going to be an aluminum intake that flows better than the stock one and by design it takes up the space the delete plates take up. It will certainly flow better for you later when you do the centrifugal blower. That way you don't waste money on the delete's or put the effort into porting the plastic manifold.

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
Thanks Hammer. I figured what the hey, I've got the thing off there and from what I've seen theres a good couple of eighth inches that could come off around the ports. If I pick up another 10hp with the deletes and 2-3 with the porting it's worth the $300 I'll be dropping on them.

And it's all part of the larger plan of adding the centri s/c later...
Old 10-23-2008, 10:55 AM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

Here's a link and some pretty good info about how our engines flow

http://www.cnlperformance.com/05_3v.html
Old 10-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ajaibr
Here's my thought.. get the cams done, wait for C&L to come out with their new intake. It's going to be an aluminum intake that flows better than the stock one and by design it takes up the space the delete plates take up. It will certainly flow better for you later when you do the centrifugal blower. That way you don't waste money on the delete's or put the effort into porting the plastic manifold.
You're right ajaibr, that may just be a better idea. I read about the C&L a few months ago but never thought much of it again until you said that. I also didn't recall that it removed/replaced the delete plates. Great idea.

anyone know how much that puppy will cost???
Old 10-23-2008, 11:09 AM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

They're not quoting a cost yet. They are saying this winter though. Whatever it costs, keep in mind you won't have to spend money on deletes though so you can basically deduct that out of the price of the manifold.

You're right ajaibr, that may just be a better idea. I read about the C&L a few months ago but never thought much of it again until you said that. I also didn't recall that it removed/replaced the delete plates. Great idea.

anyone know how much that puppy will cost???
Old 10-23-2008, 01:08 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

You have swayed my decision. "priced reasonably" and "coming this fall"... I'll be waiting for the first one to hit market.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:46 PM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

I'm personally regretting the fact that I bought deletes... Just because of that... I guess now I'll have to start shopping for heads and bigger cams to go with that manifold....

You have swayed my decision. "priced reasonably" and "coming this fall"... I'll be waiting for the first one to hit market.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I appreciate your input and steering me right on those. Just wondering.. did you install your deletes AFTER the cams and what kind of increase did you see from them? Was it just a very negligible gain?
Old 10-23-2008, 02:11 PM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

I had them done at the same time as the cams so I'm honestly not sure what sort of gain they gave me... I can tell you that right now I'm at 319 RWHP going through stock exhaust manifolds and stock cats.... One of these days I'll do something about this bottleneck in my exhaust and let it breathe.... Just trying to decide which headers to go with.... How do you like your exhaust setup? And how loud is it?

I appreciate your input and steering me right on those. Just wondering.. did you install your deletes AFTER the cams and what kind of increase did you see from them? Was it just a very negligible gain?
Old 10-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I love my exhaust. It was the first thing I worked on after purchasing the car. Within two weeks of taking ownership I had the JBA longtubes, steeda HD mounts, JBA catted h-pipe and JBA mufflers on it. After a few months I replaced the catted pipe with an off road h-pipe and MAC axlebacks (sounded great at idle but trumpeted like crazy). Then I eventually replaced the MAC's with Pypes mid-mufflers and was happy for awhile until the trumpeting started to annoy me again. I've since put the catted h-pipe back on and it's now perfect IMO. No more trumpeting. It sounds really high-performance at mid/full throttle and pretty subdued from within the car at idle/low speed. Everyone that got in the car with the off-road pipe complained about how loud it was. You couldn't really even talk in a normal way with the windows up. Oddly enough, it was louder in the car with the windows up.... I guess you hear/feel all the vibrations more.

You'll hear it next week after the cams go in. I will most definitely post up some vids to youtube.

Quick Reply: Port matching stock intake to CMCV deletes