Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Does a Cold Air Intake really work??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Default Does a Cold Air Intake really work??

Does Cold Air Injection really work??

If you look at the design of my stock '08 air intake and a Cold Air Intake I can see no real difference as to where the air is coming from, especially if you plug the vent in the bottom of the stock air cleaner box that goes to the exhaust manifold. I looks like to me like something just look cool as opposed to any real change. Is there any solid, independent data to show a real H.P. increase? I even had a Ford Service Manager tell me he thought they were a gimmick for additional markup that works on people's imagination.

What do you think? Real H.P. increase, or the placebo effectof imagining more h.p. when you add a cool looking modification???

Last edited by Mr. D; 10-23-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:18 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

There are plenty of posts here from before and after dyno runs which prove that they do work. I'm not sure the air they provide is any colder. I think the benefit is that they provide a lot more air. Breathing easier = more hp. And to really take advantage of it, you need a tune - even if you buy Ford's CAI.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:25 PM
EMichael
3rd Gear Member

not only is there dyno runs but you can feel how much faster it is.....
Old 10-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Crobeson78
1st Gear Member

they only call it cold air because it works with the ram air hoods and brings in fresh colder air to the air filter itself. The regular filters are in the box which gets really hot and of course would make the air just as hot.

In order for it to get the best air it would be best to install the hood too. However there are proven differences on a dyno because of the more air you receive to the cold air intake
Old 10-23-2008, 08:45 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

The main idea of the CAI is not to let cold air in, but to let a increased volume of air in. Yes, they do work. Bamachips 89tq tune I dynoed 284/290. With Bamachips 87per. tune/ JLT I dynoed 295/303, and with 91 tq/race tune I dynoded 297,298/306-308.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

yeah, cold air intake is just a name that they've been stuck with since they're supposed to be used with a ram air hood. BUT they move MUCH larger volumes of air and with a tune make huge improvements. the intake by itself doesn't do a whole lot, but a tune without a bigger intake is fairly limited too. together they make a huge difference.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

The cold air kit delivers more air to your engine, especially if you get a CAI that REQUIRES a tune. Try this simple test...install a CAI that requires a tune, but DO NOT install the tune. As soon as you get your car over 30mph, the engine will go into safe mode because too much air is going into the engine and the car does not know how to compensate for it. CAI's are not gimmicks and they do work.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:12 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Originally Posted by Jersey Stang
The cold air kit delivers more air to your engine, especially if you get a CAI that REQUIRES a tune. Try this simple test...install a CAI that requires a tune, but DO NOT install the tune. As soon as you get your car over 30mph, the engine will go into safe mode because too much air is going into the engine and the car does not know how to compensate for it. CAI's are not gimmicks and they do work.
ok dont actually do this....and even if you do try this you might throw a code right away and it might take a while (several miles). You car might not go into failsafe either.

Bottom line though is it does get you more air that is maybe slightly cooler than the stock setup and it is well worth it when you add a tune.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

No, CAI's are useless but many of us bought them anyway. Sort of like round tires being better than octogan tires... Looks good on paper but in reality?

Ok, seriously, from the above posts, I can't add much more. A CAI alone won't do too much on our Stangs but with a good custom tune, yeah, BIG difference. About 15-30 RWHP. Considering that 5 RWHP increases are butt-noticeable, the CAI & tune is a definite woody. I can only suggest you seriously consider a combo.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:24 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Thanx to all for your comments!

I guess I better start reading what is the best combo of a CAI and tune!
I'm getting 20 mpg. around town now when I drive like an adult, I'd like to keep that mileage when just cruising.
Suggestions welcome on which combo to use for more power and good economy when my foot is not in it.

Mr. D

Last edited by Mr. D; 10-24-2008 at 01:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Does a Cold Air Intake really work??