Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Yet another noob question....

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

Default Yet another noob question....

So I have been reading about people manually shifting in there automatics that sounds interesting/fun to me but I was wondering how they did it? I know there is Park, Nuetral, Reverse, Drive and then 1,2,3 do they just use 1,2,3? and then put it back in drive once or if they top out in 3? I would love to know how it works if it really is true and if so how could I do it without damaging the car by doing something stupid lol. Any help would be appreciated thank you.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

for 'manually' shifting an auto, have o/d off, then (obviously) shift at the proper rpms. start in 1st, then 2nd, 3rd, D (4th), then turn o/d back on for 5th (reverse the steps for downshifting). i wouldn't recommend doing this frequently, though.

the last i heard, which was last year's sema show (so i don't know if it's actually in production yet), there is a conversion kit for an automatic with a 'manual' shifter that should safely allow you to do what you're talking about

Last edited by Xeno; 10-25-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:27 PM
brian_jones110
1st Gear Member

I probli wouldnt make a habit out of it, and i would say downshifting like this would do more damage than shifting up
Old 10-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

Yeah it was more of something i was just "wondering" if i wanted to go manual i would have bought it manual but for a DD in Los Angeles were I drive home at 5:00PM on the 405 every day to buy a manual would be like saying yeah I LOVE ROOT CANALS lol anyway thanks for the responses much appreciated.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:02 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Actually it's wrong to say it's bad to do this. If that were the case, Ford wouldn't let you do it in the first place. And like it says in the manual, the computer wont let you do something stupid like shift into 1st at 70 mph. It will only drop gear if the computer thinks it's at a safe speed to do so.

There is nothing wrong with shifting yourself with an auto. The only problem is with the stock shifter, it's easy to put it in a position you didn't want since there's no positive stops. Once we get ratchet shifters that will no longer be a problem.

I read on another forum, someone took a B&M ratchet shifter that was supposed to be for a different trans but made it work without much effort with the 5R55S.

Shift away!
Old 10-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

so when i shift as i said i am a total noob i dont want my foot on the gas correct? lol >.<
Old 10-25-2008, 11:11 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

It doesn't matter. The computer will control the proper slipping of the torque converter to make the shift happen correctly just like it would do when it's shifting itself in D. Plus the computer can control the throttle since we have a drive by wire system. It will do all the right things. Other than putting too much power through, it's very difficult to damage the auto trans by doing something stupid. The computer won't let you.

With a manual it's different. If you try to put it in 1st at 70mph, it will do it! But you'll also be walking home.

Shifting an auto manually is a little different than a real manual as it's ok (and the right thing to do) to keep on the gas when shifting up.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:32 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

sweet sounds like something to give a shot when im just driving around with nothing better to do with my right hand lol
Old 10-25-2008, 11:42 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I do it all the time. It does help at times b/c this dang auto is so freaking slow at downshifting when you put the peddle down.

There's another member on here, grampa_stang, says he shifts manually all the time. It's all good.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:45 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

lol alrighty ill give it a shot =)

Quick Reply: Yet another noob question....