Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Yet another noob question....

Old 10-26-2008, 01:37 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I've tried manually shifting the automatic in my GT many times. I like how it allows me to keep the car in a lower gear, and allows for higher rpms and the totally different sound that comes with that! There's much more performance when you're in 2nd or 3rd and floor it instead of having it in D where it would probably be in top gear and have to electronically downshift. It takes so long!
I also played around with downshifting when coming into turns on a nice tight winding road. Coming down from about 60mph into a sharp right hand turn in D would mean getting heavy on the brakes and when getting back on the gas waiting for it to downshift. So I manually downshifted from going 60 in 3rd into 2nd but there is a huge delay when doing that. A good 2 seconds where the car isn't really in ANY gear!
So basically, an automatic just won't shift the way we'd like... but at least when I get caught in traffic leaving a ballgame or concert I won't be cursing the heavy clutch of my Mustang. Of course I still am willing to pay for a manumatic, should Ford ever get one.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:41 AM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

Yah I have always loved the idea of manual transmission but I have never tried one so what do i know about that although it would be awesome if you could have a manual without the clutch and the option to go automatic when needed =) im sure they could figure it out pretty easy if they decided they wanted to.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:15 PM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion_240
Of course I still am willing to pay for a manumatic, should Ford ever get one.
The trans in our cars is very similar to the one in Lincoln LS which was a manumatic. The guys who bought those cars and didn't get the manumatic option could upgrade by using a shifter from a manumatic car. That same shifter might work in our cars to make them manumatic. I had an LS with that option and it was a ton of fun on twisty roads but useless at a the drag strip. The cool thing was that with the manumatic shifter, paddle shifters could be added to the car relatively cheap.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:28 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion_240
I've tried manually shifting the automatic in my GT many times. I like how it allows me to keep the car in a lower gear, and allows for higher rpms and the totally different sound that comes with that! There's much more performance when you're in 2nd or 3rd and floor it instead of having it in D where it would probably be in top gear and have to electronically downshift. It takes so long!
+1000
Old 10-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

Well I gave it a shot for the first time today and omg I loved it the response when i was in 1 was a world of difference and I loved bringing it to about 5.5 5.6 RPMS and hearing the roar of just the stock exhaust then shifting into second and actually hearing it and really feeling it makes it a totally different what is Manumatic exactly? Basically manual without a clutch but the same looking shifter? because if so i would seriously consider giving that a shot...