Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FRPP CAM INSTALL GONE BAD

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ScremnS281
Thanks, the install wasn't that bad at all. I was scared of the same thing as you but as long as you keep an eye on the retainers when you are compressing the springs you'll be fine. I had the retainers try to pull apart twice so I just loosened the spring compressor and started over and it was fine. You have to watch the retainers though because sometimes they do try to pull apart.
The retainers "falling apart" is what scared me enough to let the shop handle it. Dropping a valve is what made me nervous.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:54 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HCOR
Sounds awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! Where did you buy the valve spring compressor and timing chain wedge? My cams are sitting on the shelf next to my 4.10 gears, just need to get busy!

John
Thanks, I borrowed the tools from a Ford Mechanic. I was going to order them from Rotunda but they were on back order. IF you know anyone that is a ford mechanic, or someone that knows a ford mechanic try to get them that way. The guy I borrowed mine from had never even used them. I was going to have him do my cam install but he said he wouldn't feel comfortable do it without pulling the front cover.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:57 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
What tune did you go with? Just got my updated one from Bama today and loaded into the SCT ready for install Wednesday.

How is the driveability?? no off-idle issues, etc?
I got the tune from Bama and so far it seems to be perfect.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I got the same crap from a ford "mechanic" and my shop's manager... you'll need to pull the front cover.. you need to replace the springs, yada yada.

I'm beginning to think I should just tackle it myself...
Old 10-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ScremnS281
I got the tune from Bama and so far it seems to be perfect.
Good to hear.. thanks! glad you're happy with the cams. I'll post up some vids later this week...
Old 10-27-2008, 08:01 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
Sounds sweet.

lope lope lope!

I'm gunna have to do mine soon.
These cams make your stereo usless and you actually look forward to red lights and stop signs
Old 10-27-2008, 08:05 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
I got the same crap from a ford "mechanic" and my shop's manager... you'll need to pull the front cover.. you need to replace the springs, yada yada.

I'm beginning to think I should just tackle it myself...
Yeah, when I asked him about doing the install he said "I wouldn't feel comfortable but you can borrow the tools if you want to do it."
Old 10-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I'd like to hear some good "before" vids. In most of the utube vids the volume seemed to increase substantially (along with the nice lope) w/ no other exhaust mods. In most of the vids, they either swapped out exhaust setups entirely or added an off-road pipe. your thoughts?
Old 10-27-2008, 08:14 PM
ScremnS281
2nd Gear Member

It definatly got louder at idle. The whole car shakes too! When I started mine it knocked a tool off the wall in the garage. As far as driving, it changed the tone just a little.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

My whole car shakes NOW with the steeda hd engine mounts.. I can only imagine what it will be like with that lope...

Quick Reply: FRPP CAM INSTALL GONE BAD