Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Kenne Bell SC or Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 01:09 PM
ruffrydertx
1st Gear Member

does a centrifugal and TS SC sound the same?
Old 11-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ruffrydertx
does a centrifugal and TS SC sound the same?
No, the twin screws have a fairly mean sounding whine to them, where as the centrifugal produces more of a whistle along with a flutter when you let off the gas. Typically speaking anyway, the kits do vary quite a bit. I like the sound of the twin screws, but I'm not spending several thousand dollars based on sound effects, lol. IMO, pick the type of kit that works best for you in characteristics, price, power. Sound would be among the last things I would be worried about up front...
Old 11-17-2008, 01:40 PM
ruffrydertx
1st Gear Member

oooooo mean? I like mean!
Old 11-17-2008, 03:10 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

Id take a look at the new Vortech Twinscrew.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:56 PM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

I know alot of people here on the forums say to go intercooled no matter what setup you run. It's safer and you get more power per pound of boost. Remember its not boost that is important, its fuel quantity so getting more air in the engine is key. If you take a can of air and heat it up, you'll see more pressure (boost), but you won't have any more air to mix fuel with. With an intercooled system, you can see the same RWHP for less boost as a non intercooled. Also, I live in Florida so it can get quite hot under my hood.

/Wants a Kenne Bell SC
Old 11-17-2008, 05:05 PM
bobby1110
3rd Gear Member

i have the hellion turbo kit on my car and just love it. i have drove a ts and a cntri. before my car acts more like a ts rether than a centri. my # are below in my sig and was 102 shop temps in july when we tuned the car. a turbo will allways make more trq per pound of boost than any supercharger. the power will be the same or mabe just a little bit more than a ts usually.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasperGT
I know alot of people here on the forums say to go intercooled no matter what setup you run. It's safer and you get more power per pound of boost. Remember its not boost that is important, its fuel quantity so getting more air in the engine is key. If you take a can of air and heat it up, you'll see more pressure (boost), but you won't have any more air to mix fuel with. With an intercooled system, you can see the same RWHP for less boost as a non intercooled. Also, I live in Florida so it can get quite hot under my hood.

/Wants a Kenne Bell SC
I originally got scared away from the non-IC kits due to comments from people on the forums. In doing extensive research, I've found that many people are running the non-IC kits with no problems at all (and some living in hot places). I even spoke to Brenspeed about their $3800 "upgradable" non-IC Vortech kit about my concerns, and they are confident the kit is "safe". It simply runs less boost than the IC kit, and subsequently, less power. It all depends on the power level you're looking for. For me, I don't see a point in spending an extra $1200 on the IC kit given I'm only looking for 400rwhp and actually do not want the extra power. Intercooled or not, if its 100+ degrees outside, you shouldn't be beating on ANY car.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:59 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Get a turbo. You can go bigger cheaper later and your upside is more. TS's are fun but you have blet slip which is a pain. Yes you can get an 8 rib setup but that's just another grand in the bucket.. Then there's the $200 pulley's you'll need. Get a good turbo and thank me later...
Old 11-17-2008, 08:01 PM
bobby1110
3rd Gear Member

i agree with blueherd02gt totally. i have been around supercharged carsfor a long time and turbo cars for a wile and i have seen and been converted to turbo. ther eis just more potential in the long run. and as for mudflap once you get to 400 hp you will want more beleave me on that one and when you do a kit go over board on the fuel system. i went with 60lbs injectors, fore percision hat with 2 gt pump kit like the one from www.leathalperformance.com, and get a mafia you may need it in the future or even then. i have a 5.0 stroker motor being made as we speak, heads from fox lake, and cams from blow by racing on the way along with there valve springs. i am hopeing for 650hp on 93 octane pump gas and 800 on 110 octane race fuel. the turbo i have now is good for 650-700 to the wheels. so i will be up grading to a dual ball bearing turbo as well.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I've had a bunch of fast cars, 400rwhp is enough, lol.

Quick Reply: Kenne Bell SC or Turbo?