Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

NOS installation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 12:26 AM
OhFive4point6

Question NOS installation?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but have had my 2005 mustang gt for some time now. I recently have been adding modifications to it. I had a 1994 supra with twin turbo and 75 shot of nos before the stang. I want to install the NOS kit in the mustang but i didn't do the install on the supra. I don't no how to do it, and i was hoping someone lives on long island NY and has an idea where i can go.....

How big of a shot can i use on a stock engine?
Old 11-20-2008, 07:03 AM
Darkness7
3rd Gear Member

Word on the street that anything over 100HP without other modifications is flirting with danger... ZEX claims that a 75 HP shot is safe on a stock motor. There are numerous threads on here about this subject, just do a search.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:19 AM
Cjack2005

If you are using a ZEX kit the install instructions that come with it are pretty good. Nothing real complicated and straight forward. As for how big a shot is safe its debatable. I have had a 125 shot on for a long time without any issues. I will say this however, whatever shot you decide on going with GET A TUNE from a quality tuner, and dont forget to change over to colder plugs and check them regularly. Cant stress the tune enough, I have seen folks just pull timing per the Zex chart and not get a tune have major issues. Leaning out does bad bad things to these motors. Tuning is the key when it comes to safely using power adders.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Darkness7
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cjack2005
If you are using a ZEX kit the install instructions that come with it are pretty good. Nothing real complicated and straight forward. As for how big a shot is safe its debatable. I have had a 125 shot on for a long time without any issues. I will say this however, whatever shot you decide on going with GET A TUNE from a quality tuner, and dont forget to change over to colder plugs and check them regularly. Cant stress the tune enough, I have seen folks just pull timing per the Zex chart and not get a tune have major issues. Leaning out does bad bad things to these motors. Tuning is the key when it comes to safely using power adders.
Very true, very true.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:25 PM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

If I were you, I would go to Realspeedautomotive.com in Bohemia. Thay are ACES.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Solitear
2nd Gear Member

100shot rule isnt true so far i'm running a 150 shot tuned and nothing has given out on me, soon to hit the track on a set dr's and practice, then when i feel that i can nail a good time i have a tune+175 jet sitting in my spare parts box hehe >_>

but really depends if you want to be a worry wart and not tune the stang then use only 100-125 shot if u want a 150 then get a tune it will help, the tune will save you and make sure not to be lean on fuel feeding or u have a backfire issue which sucks =(

for 150 make sure to nab a better fuel pump- or nab fordgt pumps lol =d
Old 11-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

around 150shot with a tune can be safe.. some people have hit the 175-200shot w/o a problem too.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:37 AM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

I wanted to be safe and had Brenspeed make me a tune specifically for my 100 nitrous shot on the track. I have another tune for the street since I have no need to use the NOS on the street unless I am looking to wrap my car around a pole.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:06 AM
mustangtestuser
2nd Gear Member

I have the NOS kit. Well thought out and good instructions. If you can crimp wires and use an electric drill, then you can do the install. If you run into a snag, then their customer service is top notch. It even comes with a combination window/wide open throttle switch.

75 shot is the highest you can run on stock timing with stock plugs. If you're running an aftermarket tune, then obviously you'll need a nitrous tune.

100 shot seems ok and some are running a 125 shot with no problems. You'll need colder plugs for that much and you'll need a tune for sure. The car might feel a little sluggish when not spraying, because timing has been pulled. Not a concern if you have a track tune and a street tune.

Personally, I don't know if I'd go over 100 and I'd probably get a dyno tune over 75, just to be safe. Everyone has their own comfort level, though and you'll read plenty of posts from people running larger shots without trouble. I believe a 100 shot tune is the highest mail order tune you can get, so that should tell you something. 125 or 150 seems like the upper limit.

Last edited by mustangtestuser; 11-24-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't go over a 100 shot. People have more, but I like to be safe.

Quick Reply: NOS installation?