Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

ANYONE use conventional 5w20?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:57 AM
pnut
2nd Gear Member

I use Valvoline 5w20. I'm only 1 oil change into my ownership, but I plan to continue to use it for the long term. I use Valvoline conventional on all my cars.

I have to look again in the manual, but is there a manufacturer recommendation for blend or synthetic? If not, I see zero reason for it on an unmodified (internally) engine. Ford spends thousands of hours designing and spec-ing out materials, I can't imagine why they would recommend conventional if other stuff was necessary.

edit: I change every 3000 miles (or less miles if I don't drive it very often). My truck is at 148,000 miles and burning zero oil. I figure there is little arguement AGAINST 3000 mile intervals, it certainly cannot hurt.

Last edited by pnut; 11-30-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:58 AM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

You guys watch way to many engine oil commercials. The only thing that changes the viscosity of oil is "dirt". The dirt is the residue from combustion. So you'll put in exotic synthetic and allow it to lubricate your engine for extended periods. Of course all the time its pumping the dirt through the system as well. I change my oil at 3000 miles and I use the Motorcraft blend. I know the manual states a longer period of time between changes, but 3000 is my magic number. Besides I like to change the oil. In my old car I use good old fashion dinosaur goo, Wolf's Head brand. I have never ever lost an engine. And I have never lost an engine due to lubrication concerns. IMO you should save your cash and buy some mods instead of wasting it on synthetics.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:05 AM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bodyputtyless
You guys watch way to many engine oil commercials. The only thing that changes the viscosity of oil is "dirt". The dirt is the residue from combustion. So you'll put in exotic synthetic and allow it to lubricate your engine for extended periods. Of course all the time its pumping the dirt through the system as well. I change my oil at 3000 miles and I use the Motorcraft blend. I know the manual states a longer period of time between changes, but 3000 is my magic number. Besides I like to change the oil. In my old car I use good old fashion dinosaur goo, Wolf's Head brand. I have never ever lost an engine. And I have never lost an engine due to lubrication concerns. IMO you should save your cash and buy some mods instead of wasting it on synthetics.
exactly my point, thanks
Old 11-30-2008, 10:33 AM
mcburns36
2nd Gear Member

+1 Finally some common sense on this subject.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

You can put anything in your engine if you swap it at 3k miles. I use syn and syn media filter and don't have to worry about it until 10k miles. It comes out as clean as it went in. When that conventional oil starts breaking down and sludging up your engine don't say we didn't tell you...
Old 11-30-2008, 12:02 PM
mcburns36
2nd Gear Member

uh huh yea right

Last edited by mcburns36; 12-01-2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Mobil 1 and the MC filter here. Would never spend buchu dollah on exotic oils.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

If you are going to change the oil after 3000 miles, then conventional should be fine. However, dirt is not the only factor affecting viscosity. The actual scraping action of the piston rings will "break" long chain hydrocarbons into smaller ones, changing viscosity. This can be speeded up if you operate your engine under adverse conditions, such as higher than designed operating temperatures. Synthetics withstand this abuse better than convential oils, which is a valid reason for picking them if you plan on a longer interval for changing your oil. Choosing an oil filter with glass media likewise lengthens service intervals as they are better at filtering out dirt.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:02 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Everything rocket ray said and Gasoline will lower the viscosity of your oil. I put in mobil 1 5w30 on my last oil change and I'll be doing a used oil analysis on this oil after 3,000 miles to see how much it sheared as well as see how much wear and tear i'm putting on this blown motor.

I use mobil 1 in my wifes car and let it go 5,000 miles, but I wouldn't go that long on my car because of the blower and the way I drive.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:41 AM
phatcat
1st Gear Member

I use the mobil 1 5000 mile oil from wal-mart, its $20 for the five quart jug, is this good oil or should I switch?

Quick Reply: ANYONE use conventional 5w20?