Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My battery dies, install a new one, car runs aweful

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 11:48 PM
8URGTO
1st Gear Member

Default My battery dies, install a new one, car runs aweful

I don't understand why this would happen when all I'm doing is installing a new battery. I have a CAI, CMDP, SCT tune with a Brenspeed tune and an x-pipe.

What happens is, when I start it up in the morning (cold only) it acts like it wants to die and runs really rich. After it warms up for about a minute, everything is fine and it runs well. Does anybody know what's going on from a simple battery install?

Thanks for your help...
Old 11-30-2008, 01:30 AM
TDC71
1st Gear Member

Thats a wierd one. Try re-loading your brenspeed tune again. Possibly was corrupted when your battery failed. Or you may be experiencing altenator faults, but usually they set a check engine light and you didnt state that.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:49 AM
lg3822

could it be like when you reset the ecm by disconnecting the battery and the car just needs to go thru a few drive cycles to relearn, I know mine doesn't run exactly right for a while after this
Old 11-30-2008, 10:08 AM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

You should definitely reload your tune. If that doesn't work, contact Brenspeed tomorrow (they are closed today).
Old 11-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

i agree, it sounds like the tune might have been messed up
Old 11-30-2008, 12:54 PM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

it wouldnt be the altenator if it was first your car would run fine off the battery till it drained it. then your car would die. it sounds like its got to be the tune. since your comp probably is back to stock now. if that dont help its probably got a curse on it...try holy water... from what i hear you have to put in your master cylinder and it some how works its way out of the brakes and into the engine....
Old 11-30-2008, 03:39 PM
8URGTO
1st Gear Member

Hey, Thank you all for your replies.

1. I have two tunes (Bama 93 race tune and Brenspeed 93 tune) both of them do the same thing. I thought it was the tune too, but when I first installed the battery nothing worked right. The windows wouldn't roll down so I could open the doors and the car wouldn't run at all untill I installed the tune.

2. This isn't my daily driver and this has been going on for about 4 months (approx. 2000 miles). Very few times has it not done it and it started up just fine in the morning.

Do you think I need to disconnect the battery for about an hour, reconnect it and then install the tune before starting it?

What do you guys think?
Old 11-30-2008, 04:14 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

Try that, then contact one of the tuners. They might have some ideas.

What kind of battery and what size...?
Old 11-30-2008, 04:33 PM
8URGTO
1st Gear Member

Autozone midgrade. The only thing they had for this car. I disconnected the battery and I'm completely removing the tunes on the SCT tuner and reloading them from my computer and I'll see what that does.

I'm wanting to install some thumper cams, but I've got to get this issue handled first...
Old 11-30-2008, 05:45 PM
8URGTO
1st Gear Member

I do believe that I got it resolved!!!!

I disconnected the battery for about 40 minutes and reloaded the tune on the SCT device and to the PCM.. It started up just fine (better than before all of this) and runs very well.

Now, it's time for those thumper cams... yes, yes, yes

Thank you all for all of your help!!!!

Quick Reply: My battery dies, install a new one, car runs aweful