Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: Lowered cars vibrate?
Lowered and NEVER vibrated
60.00%
Lowered and DID vibrate
40.00%
Lowered and STILL vibrates
0%
Gave up and took it off
0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Spydershaft and Lowered

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 01:15 AM
JMoraru
2nd Gear Member

Default Spydershaft and Lowered

I have been thinking of possibly doing an aluminum drive shaft, spydershaft to be specific. Thing that scares me is i hear lots of problems with vibrations. I personally do not even want to try if i will have a headache from it, but im wondering how many people ONLY with lowered cars actually had this problem.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:36 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Yep, I've been one of the many through this ordeal !! ... About 8 monthe ago, I ordered and had a reputable shop install my 3 1/2 " one piece " Dynotech" aluminum driveshaft. They changed the rear pinion flange with it, and it shook and vibrated like crazy. They tried repeatedly to rotate it different ways and Noooooo luck !! After being totally frustrated, I finally changed to a "Powerhouse" aluminum driveshaft without changing the pinion flange. This time I went with the bolt-on pinion flange adapter that comes with it. Much, much easier to install and I experinced the total opposite result to what everone says will happen with the adapter. But at this point, I had nothing to lose ...and guess what happened..!!! Now it was as smooooooth as butter ...!! I'm Still Extremely happy to this day !!

Last edited by 07 GT E UPP; 12-05-2008 at 04:55 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:08 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

have it and it never vibrated, it did make a bit of a harmonic around 80 ( with 4.10s) we rotated it 180*s and that basically eliminated the noise.

the key seems to be a properly set pinion angle. if you have adj LCAs and relocation brackets that will be of help
Old 12-05-2008, 06:56 AM
zoomerman46
1st Gear Member

I have a Shaftmasters 3 1/2" with the adaptor plate installed back in April,I am lowered only in the rear (Rousch springs) have had the car up to 120 with no vibrations.No problems at all. Like the fact that there is no slop or clunking sound that was there with the stock driveshaft. Check out ShafteMasters site I think they have a very good sale going on right now on a 4" shaft. Best price I've seen from anyone making a Alum shafts for S197 's
Old 12-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Charity Leonard told me the only problems they've had with vibration are on cars lowered over 1".
Old 12-05-2008, 09:56 AM
JMoraru
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Charity Leonard told me the only problems they've had with vibration are on cars lowered over 1".
thats exactly why i am hesitant to get one.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:02 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

oops...double post

Last edited by rojizostang; 12-05-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:06 PM
rojizostang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rojizostang
here's some information you might find helpful regarding 1 piece shafts and all, a thread i started over at s197forum

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8330
i finally after much time, effort and $ got it working well. all w/o adjusting the pinion angle. i tried 3 different shafts, rebalanced by two different shops, and finally got one that works well.

btw, i do have adjustable lca's, i'm at +1 at the tranny flange and -2 at the pinion flange. these are the exact same settings that i had after lowering with the eibach pro kit, before i installed the lca's. the vibe was eliminated by rebalancing the shaft.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:48 PM
ytix
1st Gear Member

I have the FRPP lowering springs (rear only) and the spydershaft. The LCAs and UCA are stock, the pinion angle is unknown to me. I have no vibration or shaft-to-underbody contact at any speed up to 120 mph. The offroad H pipe and stingers mask all mild drivetrain sounds.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:49 PM
brunobluto
2nd Gear Member

i have a shaftmasters 4" aluminum and lowered 1". on my car for a year and a half with no noise or vibration at any speed. and no clearance issues either.

Quick Reply: Spydershaft and Lowered