Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Auto trans/superchargers/hp ...Edelbrock E-Force

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:30 AM
scrmngt
1st Gear Member

Default Auto trans/superchargers/hp ...Edelbrock E-Force

I have been planning on installing a Saleen supercharger this summer...the 400hp low boost to reduce stress on the stock internals and the transmission.

The new E-force supercharger from Edelbrock boasts 466 hp. No where do they mention or suggest A/T or M/T...( I have an email into tech support)

What is safe hp for the stock internals? What is a safe hp or torque for the stock transmission?

Just want to gather as much info as possible...Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-12-2008, 09:13 AM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

This is one of those "it really depends on how you use it" type questions. A large consensus of people here will tell you that 10psi is a pretty safe bet overall on stock internals. You're gonna fry your clutch at that level but that's a given. Then again, if you're going to throw some slicks on your car and take it to the track doing 6k launches, there's a good chance you're going to destroy something.

That being said, Whipple began putting 12 psi pulleys on their new kits, so obviously they think that's something doable. However the boost at that level still seems to be under heavy debate at this point.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:42 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

the 466hp is at the crank i'm sure and the stock motor will be fine if their tune is good. I'm not sure about the automatic transmission, but whipple wouldn't sell a 10psi kit for the auto originally, only 7psi, so they obviously had reservations about it's strength.

You are going to be increasing the wear on everything with a blower, that's a given.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:27 PM
2007VistaBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

I see it like this, Ford is an extremely conservative car company and yet they sanctioned a 550hp supercharger kit from Whipple to be sold as a Ford Racing Parts unit therefore you can bet that stock internals with proper fuel and a tune can take it. The kit is recommended for manual transmission however last year MM&FF magazine installed one of those kits on an automatic and they stated that the transmission is capable but it is VERY important how the tuner sets up the shifting, if there is ANY clutch overlap between shifting the transmission is toast!!! As to my knowledge the car is still in operation as a daily driver/weekend warrior.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

Most would say stay under 450rwhp. but for auto's, the worst thing you can do is go from a roll to WOT without manually shifting to a lower gear first. The kick that you felt in a stock car will distroy the auto tranny on a FI car.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:07 AM
scrmngt
1st Gear Member

Thanks all for the replies. Did get a "short" reply from tech at Edelbrock..."Our horsepower rating(466) will still be fine to be run with a stock automatic transmission. "

That being said, I will still be interested in hearing about the guys that install these SC's. I myself unfortunately will have to wait until I sell my ultralight aircraft before getting blown.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:30 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

any pics of that aircraft to be sold?
Old 12-13-2008, 11:26 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jersey Stang
Most would say stay under 450rwhp. but for auto's, the worst thing you can do is go from a roll to WOT without manually shifting to a lower gear first. The kick that you felt in a stock car will distroy the auto tranny on a FI car.
Dont know if I could agree with that. Now, I only have 14k on my 06, and the blower has been on since 3300mi. No issues thus far with 'smash and go' driving.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:48 AM
scrmngt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
any pics of that aircraft to be sold?
I built it myself...been flying it since 2001
Attached Thumbnails Auto trans/superchargers/hp ...Edelbrock E-Force-100_0056.jpg  
Old 12-14-2008, 06:02 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jersey Stang
sorry to thread jack, but do you mean to shift into '3' say at like 60, then floor it? and shift manually at the shift point??

Quick Reply: Auto trans/superchargers/hp ...Edelbrock E-Force