Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Do LT Headers require a new tune?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 11:37 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lito
The kooks are mid length and the stock harness on the drivers side actually reach the new sensor location so that is why the ship only one extension to be used in the passenger side (I think I'm correct on the side but maybe not)

Because of the length of these headers they are more less prone to throw a CEL than true longs but a tune is highly recommended still. Don't get fooled because of the length thinking the longer ones are better, I love mines.

Cool thanks. I wanted to be sure so I don't go to install them at my uncle's shop (about 200 miles away from me in Houston) and be like, opps I need another extension. I'd be hosed. Well, I bet he'd try to make one if that happened. Hehe. But sounds like it won't be a problem anyway so that's cool.

That's one of the reasons I got the kooks is they're less likely to throw codes. Brenspeed says the length makes them easier to tune and they seemed to like the kooks a lot.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Oh yeah, like Lito says, the O2's will be in a different position also which will affect the signal (further downstream). The further downstream position of the cats/rear O2's will also have an effect (warm the exhaust up more if you have a sniffer test).

I had a bung piped into my midpipe right after the header collectors for a true representation of A/F when tuning. You'll want one of these too. The tuner will probably recommend it.

When everything is tuned together on a dyno tune (preferably a mustang (MD) dynamometer which will allow rpm variation tuning) the car will be perfect.

Oh yeah... ANY exhaust shop can fabricate O2's extensions... don't sweat that.

Cool man!! you're making your car unstreetable like mine! It's fun!

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 12-25-2008 at 11:54 AM.