Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

TCI Ratchet Shifter Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 12:32 PM
samus720
2nd Gear Member

Cool video, is the valve body any more responsive shifting with that or does it still take the same amount of time to shift as it does a regular A/T?
Old 01-01-2009, 03:51 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Looks very good!

BTW, you should really modify your youtube video's info so more people can find it by search. The category is wrong, and it needs proper tags, video title and description. These really make a big difference.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:02 AM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by samus720
Cool video, is the valve body any more responsive shifting with that or does it still take the same amount of time to shift as it does a regular A/T?
I did not change the valve body, so it shifts the same (still faster then stock with a tune).

Tim
Old 01-02-2009, 11:20 AM
samus720
2nd Gear Member

So you're saying that it shifts faster than the stock 5r55s shifts after getting a tune from a hand tuner? (i.e. X3 or predator)
Old 01-02-2009, 12:32 PM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by samus720
So you're saying that it shifts faster than the stock 5r55s shifts after getting a tune from a hand tuner? (i.e. X3 or predator)
Absolutely! Mine shifts so hard that I can break the tires loose going into second and I get a healthy chirp into third.

Tim
Old 01-02-2009, 02:05 PM
samus720
2nd Gear Member

Have you tracked the car yet to see if it yields better times? I find it hard to believe that a human can shift the auto better than the PCM can. But if so, then it might be an upgrade I'll consider.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:04 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

I have an auto and I manual shift quite a bit. I like the shifter...the paddle seems a little awkward. How does it feel when you grab it?

You "may" be able to shift as fast....but no way can you shift faster than if it's left in D. Now, I definitely believe you can manually shift the new shifter faster than you can manually shift the stock shifter.

I've had a few different shifters in my time...the B&M Star shifter and the B&M quick click. The starshifter allowed my to move it from P all the way down to 1st when holding in the lever. The quick click did not. Can the TCI move from P to 1st in one single motion while holding in the lever...or does it stop you at D?

Now as far as how "Hard" it shifts....that's all pressure, nothing to do with the shifter itself.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:43 PM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grampa_stang
I have an auto and I manual shift quite a bit. I like the shifter...the paddle seems a little awkward. How does it feel when you grab it?

You "may" be able to shift as fast....but no way can you shift faster than if it's left in D. Now, I definitely believe you can manually shift the new shifter faster than you can manually shift the stock shifter.

I've had a few different shifters in my time...the B&M Star shifter and the B&M quick click. The starshifter allowed my to move it from P all the way down to 1st when holding in the lever. The quick click did not. Can the TCI move from P to 1st in one single motion while holding in the lever...or does it stop you at D?

Now as far as how "Hard" it shifts....that's all pressure, nothing to do with the shifter itself.
I agree you can't out shift the computer, not even with an expensive shifter! But that's not why I purchased it. The TCI must be ratcheted down to first, you can't pull it straight there. As for the paddle, I don't find it awkward at all.

Tim

Last edited by tdbrown75; 01-02-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:00 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

What's the size of the thread for the handle? I'm wondering if the shifter ***** from GrabberPony would work.

The thing I like about shifting this auto manually is for downshifting. The computer when in D takes FOREVER to downshift when I want it too. I can pull the thing down when I want to instead of having the car hanging in limbo while I have the peddle down waiting for it to downshift and accelerate. That's so annoying. It's also nice to be in the proper gear when going around a turn and coming out with the power I expect/want instead of it being in one gear too high at least.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:51 AM
samus720
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
It's also nice to be in the proper gear when going around a turn and coming out with the power I expect/want instead of it being in one gear too high at least.
That's a really good point, I've never thought of using it for that. I do use it to downshift around town to save wear on my brakes. (i.e. coming up to a stoplight)

Quick Reply: TCI Ratchet Shifter Install