Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Shaker

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 07:44 PM
silverpony41
2nd Gear Member

Default Shaker

I have an 08 gt with a cdc shaker, i want to put a cold air intake. What kind do i get and how do i put it on or what? The shaker is connected with the stock intake box.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:03 AM
glamborn

You'll have to fab up the connection yourself. We have an 07 with a K&N intake and the CDC shaker. The original shaker tubing consists of the section that comes out the back of the shaker and curves around to point forward, then an intermediate piece that goes between that and the airbox. I ended up leaving that intermediate piece out, and just got a piece of flexible intake tubing to go between it and a hole that I cut into the K&N heat shield. For the flexible intake tubing I went to Autozone and got a kit intended for the old style carbureted air filters. I just took the intermediate connection piece with me and found something that was the same diameter.

Now, having said all that, I believe all the power gains come from the intake and tuner. The only real reason to go to all this trouble is if you're a bit **** (like me) and want to be able to say that "Yes, that shaker really is functional". If you're willing to accept that the shaker is just for looks, just remove the tubing from the back of it and let it go at that. Removing the tubing actually cleans up the underhood appearance considerably and the vast majority of people won't know the difference.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:05 PM
silverpony41
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by glamborn
You'll have to fab up the connection yourself. We have an 07 with a K&N intake and the CDC shaker. The original shaker tubing consists of the section that comes out the back of the shaker and curves around to point forward, then an intermediate piece that goes between that and the airbox. I ended up leaving that intermediate piece out, and just got a piece of flexible intake tubing to go between it and a hole that I cut into the K&N heat shield. For the flexible intake tubing I went to Autozone and got a kit intended for the old style carbureted air filters. I just took the intermediate connection piece with me and found something that was the same diameter.

Now, having said all that, I believe all the power gains come from the intake and tuner. The only real reason to go to all this trouble is if you're a bit **** (like me) and want to be able to say that "Yes, that shaker really is functional". If you're willing to accept that the shaker is just for looks, just remove the tubing from the back of it and let it go at that. Removing the tubing actually cleans up the underhood appearance considerably and the vast majority of people won't know the difference.
I see....... I was hoping that i could leave my shaker functional, but i guess thats not going to happen. Thanks you very much for your response.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:36 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

I will technically be functional once you cut a hole in your heat shield of the CAI. The tube from the shaker will blow air onto the CAI filter, although it won't really help w/ any gains. You will be able to say it is functional though.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:04 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

It was never actually functional to begin with.

The only shaker that IS functional is Saleen's SuperShaker. The air comes in the scoop and straight into the intake. Not taking a trip around tubes that point every which way.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:00 PM
silverpony41
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
It was never actually functional to begin with.

The only shaker that IS functional is Saleen's SuperShaker. The air comes in the scoop and straight into the intake. Not taking a trip around tubes that point every which way.
Saleen supershaker? I got to check that out.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:01 PM
silverpony41
2nd Gear Member

So even though air enters the intake when i cut a hole in it, it still isnt gonna do anything for me?
Old 01-01-2009, 07:21 PM
glamborn

The way I understand it is the shaker scoop doesn't sit high enough to really benefit much from a force-fed air supply.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:41 PM
silverpony41
2nd Gear Member

It has to be functional in some way. I mean i dont know but the extra air must do something.This mod is crap if it doesn't help in any way.