Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Fuel pressure falls under boost...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:29 PM
explict
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Big Top Gt
If I plug in the factory connector into either FPDM, the car runs and drives.

The FPDC still maxes out at .500 with any sort of aggressive throttle input.

Here's everything I've tried so far to get this to work properly:

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...99#post1292999
I'm, sure your having the same problem as me, just a little different because of the kit.
I tried doing that too, the car ran on both modules with the first connecter, but when you take off the first connector and leave the second one in the car will slowly die...

This was the thread I started.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...f-problem.html
Old 01-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by explict
I'm, sure your having the same problem as me, just a little different because of the kit.
I tried doing that too, the car ran on both modules with the first connector, but when you take off the first connector and leave the second one in the car will slowly die...

This was the thread I started.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...f-problem.html
Thanks for the help, man.

I just read the thread and we're seeing the EXACT same symptom. That leads me to believe it's a wiring issue.

What I'm struggling with is that I feel like I've checked every wire, every where I can find a wire.

I simply don't know what or how to check any more.

What is the data wire you mentioned?

Oh, and if I plug in the second FPDM harness (the new add on) the idle quality goes to crap. Again, this points to wire issues, but I've still got no results in tracking this down.

*grrrrrrr*
Old 01-14-2009, 03:35 PM
explict
4th Gear Member

The yellow wire on this diagram is the 'data' wire that was loose in my connector.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:54 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by explict

My car handled it pretty well, when I first got the ***** to bring the car past 3000rpms with the supercharger on, and started loosing fuel pressure, it was almost like traction control kicked in. It felt like the car knew before I did and it did something so I didn't blow up. Almost like the car wouldn't allow the blower to reach past 5 psi... I know pretty well that if that happened in some other cars, you could say goodbye to the motor.
The ecm was pulling timing. The guy with the fpdm unplugged only made about 400rwhp and then it started dropping like a rock at higher rpms. His AFR was crazy lean to at about 17:1.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

I have a copy of the diagram above, but my wires are different from what's shown.

The layout is the important thing.

In another thread, someone made the following suggestion:

Originally Posted by 05Stroker
While datalogging the FPDC unplug the fpdm connectors one at a time and note the fp dc with both connected and what it is when you disconnect each fpdm connector. Dont swap them but disconnect one at a time. Also with the car running at idle ck the voltage on to the fpdms on the connector at the pin 5 location. This is the power in to the fpdm. If you have power here then ck for voltage at pin 4 , this is the power out to the pumps. If there is power there then go back to the fp connector in the car and ck pins 3 and 4 for voltage. All this has to be checked with the car running at idle.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Here's what I came up with:

When both FPDMs are plugged in the X3 shows a value in the high .37X range.

When you unplug the connector from the second FPDM the value does not change.

When you plug in the second one, but remove the OEM FPDM plug, the value immediately jumps to .500.

Checking the pins in the actual FPDM connections, as well as the fuel pump connection under the seat returns the following values.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:12 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

ok i think this may be right, because there's
no fpdm feedback to the PCM when you are
only operating on FPDM 2.

When you plug in the second one, but remove the OEM FPDM plug, the value immediately jumps to .500.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

After careful review....

I'm thinking it's a dead pump. I'm going to pull the assembly this week and test them individually. I'll let you guys know what I come up with.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Gig4Fun
1st Gear Member

After careful review....

I'm thinking it's a dead pump. I'm going to pull the assembly this week and test them individually. I'll let you guys know what I come up with.

wow, That would be good if it were that but gosh what a large amount of time/effort to get to the bottom of it. You'll be a wizzard at helping someone else with this "someday". Shows how important the "seach" feature is on these boards.

Hurry up and check them tomorrow. Don't make us wait! LOL

gig
Old 01-18-2009, 10:34 PM
explict
4th Gear Member

If the connector for FPDM1 keeps your car running when connected to either of the two FPDM's, it and fuel pump 1 are fine. If the connector for FPDM2 keeps your car running when connected to either of the two FPDM's, it and fuel pump 2 are fine. However, if your car stalls when connector 1 is plugged into either of the modules, with the other module unplugged, there is something wrong between connector 1 and the fuel pump 1. If your car stalls when connector 2 is plugged into either of the modules, with the other module unplugged, there is something wrong between connector 2 and the fuel pump 2.

If you car sputters when you swap connectors you probably have a voltage problem. Get a multi-meter and when the modules are plugged in, and the car is on (not running) check AT THE PUMPS for 12V. Do a little connector swapping and keep testing the voltage at each pump.

If you are getting 12V at the pumps with EVERY combination of connector swapping, and your still having fuel issues your pump is screwed. Or you have gremlins.

If you are not getting 12V at both pumps, check the connector on top of the fuel pump and do the swapping again.

Your obvious goal should be to narrow down what is happening. If you come across a problem with something, test it in other ways to narrow down EXACTLY what is it.

When I was doing my searches I came to the conclusion that FPDM 1 and 2 worked, Connector 1 worked fine and pump 1 and 2 worked. Connecter two was the culprit, but I couldn't find exactly where...

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure falls under boost...