Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

why new motor mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:19 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Default why new motor mounts?

I put in LT's without new motor mounts. I have clearance around the steering link & frame. Why should I need new motor mounts, as some think you do with LT's?

My next mod is going to be lowering the car. Is that going to require new motor mounts and if so why?
Old 01-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

I didnt need motor mounts also when i put my long tubes on. Though i have personally seen someone that did need them after motor mount install; their car was really hard to turn the steering wheel to the right after the install of the headers.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:45 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I take it their steering linkage was rubbing.

Still haven't driven or cranked mine (waiting on O2 extensions). I have 1/4-1/2 clearance all the way around the steering linkage shaft. I hope when the steering wheel turns that thing just rotates while otherwise staying still (hope it doesn't whirl around in a circle and bumps stuff).
Old 01-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

Yea i honestly dont know how it rotates down there when you turn the wheel. Though you will beable to tell pretty damn quick if its rubbing once you drive it. When he tried to make a right turn it basically felt like is power steering went out.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:40 AM
jared188
1st Gear Member

I'm not 100% on this but I believe what I heard but I think it also cuts down on vibration.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:02 AM
ybnormal
2nd Gear Member

I put the motor mounts on before the long tube headers. I don't think you need them unless you have a rubbing issue. It does stiffen up the engine a little while reducing the vibration. I dont think I could tell enough to justify spending the money for them if I had to do it again, But Ive blown a lot more money on a lot less valuable stuff. It did make the header install a lot easier. I did not have any steering issue. I have American racing headers with high flow cats and they sound great but they are much louder then befor I picked up 31 HP on the dyno. Only problem is the occasional code that gets trown for the delay in sensing the ox sensor, Just reset it and smile. good luck either way you go.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:51 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

I had shorty headers on my old 05 GT and they rubbed when I made right turns. The headers are a little wider than the stock exhaust manifold. To resolve my problem, I loosened both motor mounts. Took a bar against the header on the drivers side and pushed the motor as far as I could to the passenger side then tightened them down. That essentially resolved my problem.

The stock motor mounts are a little soft. When you make that right turn, the engine leans a little to the drivers side causing the header to hit the steering shaft. If you replace the motor mounts with harder ones, you feel a little more engine vibration in the cabin of the car and they don't flex as much as the stock motor mounts. This helps eliminate the shifting of the motor when making those right turns.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:43 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

If you have 1/4" to 1/2" clearance, you'll probably be o.k.
It's just alot easier doing them with the LT install vs. going back & installing the mounts after the fact.
When you get your O2 extenders, take it out & do some high speed hard right corners, you'll feel it in the steering wheel if you have any rub.

Last edited by aircare84; 01-12-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:05 PM
coji5gt
1st Gear Member

So if there is a rubbing what motor mounts do you recommend?
Old 01-12-2009, 11:37 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Used for vibration after LT install for many and clearance issues with various things like LT's and FI etc

Quick Reply: why new motor mounts?