Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Interior is still rattling... help on taking dash apart...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 02:14 PM
pharmd2010
2nd Gear Member

Default Interior is still rattling... help on taking dash apart...

Well, after a few months of having the dash/console rattle I have finally figured I would be better off finding it on my own. I've taken the car to 2 different dealerships and a friend that works for one of the dealerships and they can't find the rattle. I refuse to accept that I may have to just deal with it (which seems to be the ongoing theme from everybody that I have taken it to). Something in the dash is rattling and I am going to find it! lol Is there anywhere on here or any other reference that can give me a step by step of how to take the dash apart? I am worried about the airbags and such, but I don't think I will have to get into messing with them, judging from where the rattle is coming from. It sounds like it's coming from the center console, but towards the motor, like in the area of the radio. I am not sure how much of the dash/console will have to come apart, but I would like to do it correctly. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 02-08-2009, 05:06 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The black plastic bezel around the radio and AC controls will vibrate on my car, but it's pretty obvious where it's coming from by just pushing on the bezel. I have never taken my whole dash off, but there are a few steps to taking off the gauge cluster cover and the passenger side airbag and glove box. I'm planning to take my whole dash apart and put dyna mat where ever it looks like it might vibrate.

First you need to pop off the driver and passenger side door sill plates (the plastic piece that says mustang on it), then you pop off the kick panels. You'll have to pull up the shifter boot plate, then the center console, that's just to get the inside kick panels off. There are only a few screws here and there and the rest just pops off.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

read this thread and see if it helps (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ll-w-pics.html). just follow what it says till you get to where it talks about the a-pillar (or further if you want to take more apart); doing so will pretty much allow you to take the dash apart (btw, the cluster bezel dash piece just pulls out, no screws or anything). overall, it's pretty easy to do; i've done it many times fixing the rattles
Old 02-08-2009, 06:42 PM
pharmd2010
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
The black plastic bezel around the radio and AC controls will vibrate on my car, but it's pretty obvious where it's coming from by just pushing on the bezel. I have never taken my whole dash off, but there are a few steps to taking off the gauge cluster cover and the passenger side airbag and glove box. I'm planning to take my whole dash apart and put dyna mat where ever it looks like it might vibrate.

First you need to pop off the driver and passenger side door sill plates (the plastic piece that says mustang on it), then you pop off the kick panels. You'll have to pull up the shifter boot plate, then the center console, that's just to get the inside kick panels off. There are only a few screws here and there and the rest just pops off.
Originally Posted by Xeno
read this thread and see if it helps (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ll-w-pics.html). just follow what it says till you get to where it talks about the a-pillar (or further if you want to take more apart); doing so will pretty much allow you to take the dash apart (btw, the cluster bezel dash piece just pulls out, no screws or anything). overall, it's pretty easy to do; i've done it many times fixing the rattles
Wow, thanks a lot guys. That was a bunch of help! I started taking some of the center console apart earlier and got a good bit done. I'm trying to just take a little bit off at a time and drive it in between the pieces coming off to see if I can pinpoint the rattle. This is driving me crazy! Any particular pieces I should specifically be looking for the rattle in? I can't tell exactly where it's coming from, but it does sound like some type of plastic rattling...
Old 02-08-2009, 06:51 PM
pharmd2010
2nd Gear Member

Also, do I need to worry about the airbag? I am afraid that messing with the dash may cause it to deploy or something. This isn't my area of expertise, so could somebody fill me in?
Old 02-08-2009, 07:32 PM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pharmd2010
Also, do I need to worry about the airbag? I am afraid that messing with the dash may cause it to deploy or something. This isn't my area of expertise, so could somebody fill me in?
The best thing to do when your messing with or around an air bag is to just depower it to be on the safe side. When I changed the color of my dash (got rid of my IUP dash) I just took the negative battery cable off and waited 10 mins before messing with it. I believe the air bag holds a bit of reserve power that takes about 10mins or less to drain, but everything went smooth for me.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:56 PM
pharmd2010
2nd Gear Member

Great advice, thanks a lot man. It definitely worries me messing around in the area of it. I will do this just to be safe!
Old 02-08-2009, 08:22 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I had to remove the passenger air bag in order to mount my aeroforce gauge in the center dash piece. I don't remember the exact procedure, but it did call for disconnecting the neg. battery cable. You will have to remove it, if you want to remove the whole dash.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

when i 'fixed' my rattles, i noticed a lot of the noise came from the copper-looking anchor nuts all the screws go (like what holds the radio in). all i did was put a couple of strips of electrical tape over those nuts, replace whatever parts go between the nut and the screw, then screw it back on. seemed to work for me. i've been trying to find pics of exactly what i'm talking about, but have had no luck (i posted them in a thread a while back too)

Last edited by Xeno; 02-08-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:15 AM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

My rattle was the OD button itself.

Quick Reply: Interior is still rattling... help on taking dash apart...