Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

bought LT headers need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:36 PM
kevinspony07

Default bought LT headers need help!

i bought kooks LT headers and o/r x-pipe. can anyone give me some imput and help on installing these? what all do i need to remove to install the headers?
Old 02-19-2009, 07:56 PM
abarker8541
3rd Gear Member

steering shaft. and starter. and obviously the stock headers . post a sound clip when you are done.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:37 PM
BFMacias
2nd Gear Member

I have BBK longtubes and I never had to remove the starter. Do you have any friends that work or own a shop with a lift? This would be the best place to swap your stuff. The two things that made this process pretty easy for my brother and I are jack stands. Lifting the engine is an absolute necessity. One for the tranny and one for the engine. PM me if you have more questions.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:16 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kevinspony07
i bought kooks LT headers and o/r x-pipe. can anyone give me some imput and help on installing these? what all do i need to remove to install the headers?
Couldn't see myself doing this in the garage, so I had my friends at Steeda install my Kook's Ceramic LT Headers with High Flow Catted H-Pipe. They put it up on the hoist, dropped the K-member and slipped them right in. About 6 hours later, including wheel alignment, I was out of there. Love them....!!!!

Last edited by 07 GT E UPP; 02-20-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:08 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Yeah, when Fastlane Motorsports installed my BBK shorties, they dropped the bottom out of the car first.

You should be able to follow these instructions exactly for your LT's.
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...ers/index.html

Hope it helps and good luck!
Old 02-20-2009, 12:37 PM
08alloy

Took about 4 hours, but i had lift and airtools. Had to unbolt engine mounts and jack up engine. Removed passenger side engine mount to get to the lower header bolts. Disconnected lower steering shaft be sure not to rotate or airbag could go off. I thought it was easy but been mechanic for 13 years.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:42 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Here's a tip. Use the factory metal gasket and not some graphite one that comes with the headers.
Also, make sure you tighten well according to the sequence given in the instructions or else they will leak.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

This is one of those mods I really want to do but am not sure I want to do it myself. It's just such a PITA. A lift helps but how many of us have those in our garage? I also hear people jacking their engine up from the oil pan. I can't bring myself to feel OK about that even though I know people stick a phone book under there and say it's fine. Just seems like that would be a no-no.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:36 PM
stang910
2nd Gear Member

I just did this install about a month ago took me about 4 hours on a lift. I removed all the stock manifold nuts that I could get to from the top of the engine first. Then underneath the car I removed the cross brace under the trans for room the starter the engine mounts. I unbolted the steering shaft from the rack and pinion then removed one bolt holding the rack and pinion in place and loosened the other side so i could move the rack forward to disconnect the shaft from the rack, then just laid the shaft to the side. I wouldn't recommend doing this if your not using air cause those two bolts holding the rack on have loctite on them and they are very long bolts. If you have air this will save you from working under the dash. After all that is removed and your stock manifolds are out the kooks go in very easy. Your gonna want to have a gear wrench handy cause the kooks headers have limited space to install the bottom bolts. If you use the aluminum gaskets that come with the kit make sure you use gasket sealant. Also before you install the kooks go ahead and plug in the o2 extension (cut the notch off your sensors plug) on the passenger side this will save you a few minutes. Take your time starting the bolts remember your working with aluminum heads and they'll cross thread very easy. Hope I helped you out some good luck with the install!
Old 02-20-2009, 05:50 PM
abarker8541
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by thewarmachine
Here's a tip. Use the factory metal gasket and not some graphite one that comes with the headers.
Also, make sure you tighten well according to the sequence given in the instructions or else they will leak.
kooks headers come with aluminum gaskets

Quick Reply: bought LT headers need help!