Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

BURNOUT - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

I'm guessing right now you are winding it up and when you transfer from the clutch to the brake the car is coming to a jerking stop?
While it's a bit harder on your clutch, you could lift your foot off the pedal a bit for it to engage before quickly stomping the brake. You might lurch forward a bit but it might make it easier to get the burnout going until you get the hang of it.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Stomping on the brake is probably going to kill the burnoff.

He needs to get a feel for it and be light on the brake pedal I'm guessing. A good place to learn this would be a parking lot with no obstacles and some nice smooth pavement.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Yeah you are right, stomping on the brake is the wrong way to word it. Quickly transitioning to the brake is more like it since want some slip and the ability to adjust as needed.
You aren't pushing the gas to the floor after you pop the clutch and get on the brake are you b/c if you bang off the rev I imagine that could really mess the whole process up.

Last edited by Ato; 02-26-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Having not done it yet take this with a grain of salt. But I think this is probably how it's done.

1) Rev to 4000.
2) Either drop clutch or slip it out quickly. Break tires loose.
3) Immediately transition left foot over to brake pedal and start slowly applying pressure.

Keep an eye on your tachometer and don't let it dip down below about 4000. As you continue to apply more brake pressure slowly watch outside the car as well and make sure that you are slowing down your forward movement.

It's a balancing act. It should be possible with the right amount of pressure on both pedals to keep the tires roasting while at a standstill. Even without a line lock.

Though personally if you're going for a nice display of fried rubber (lol) I would let the car move forward very slowly until you get a nice smokey cloud around and behind the car. Then let off the brake and let the car fly out of there.

Should put a smile on your face and that of the spectators.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:09 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Bounce the needle off the rev limiter, dump the clutch and hope nothing breaks lol

If you're trying to do a standing burning out(car doesn't move, rear wheels produce smoke) do what these guys are telling you. It will make a lot of smoke(as much as you want until something breaks or you stop) But it is hard on the clutch, and your breaks. You will destroy your pads and rotors.

If you just want to smoke your tires on a take off, then just rev to 4k and drop the clutch. Your tires will break loose. This will produce a small amount of smoke, but it is the least damaging to anything on your car.

If that's not enough smoke for you... Put it in reverse and get the car moving backwards(no more than 5mph) put in first(while still moving backwards) Rev to 4k and dump the clutch. The car will stop moving backwards and stay still for a little bit because of the backwards momentum and then eventually start going forward... this will produce a moderate amount of smoke but it is a little rough on your clutch(not as bad as a standing burnout) and of course all of these options are bad for your tires. It would be better to do this by leaving your car in 1st gear and letting the car roll back down a hill than using reverse. Plus if you're doing this going up a hill you will get a lot more smoke too, cuz then you're fighting gravity AND momentum lol

P.S. be careful if you get sideways lol you better know what to do if that happens, just remember to counter steer and don't make huge sudden direction changes or you will spin. I've gotten my car to spin all of first gear and most of second using the taking off while rolling backwards technique. The car stayed mostly straight for 1st gear but stepped out a bit on second gear. The car was stock with 3.31 gears. I left a pair of VERY long black stripes :-)

Last edited by acarzt; 02-26-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:42 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I am not sure with 3.31s, but with 4.10s it's best to start in 2nd gear, rev to around 5k, dump the clutch and quickly move your left foot over to the brake while applying pressure to the gas peddle. If you are doing this at the track, you will not need to do a lengthy burnout if you using street tires.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

However you do it, be sure someone gets a video.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:05 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
However you do it, be sure someone gets a video.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that part... Video is a requirement :-)
Old 02-26-2009, 04:54 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Rev to 4,000, pop the clutch and stab the gas as you move your clutch foot to the brake. Hole brake and gas. Watch your tach and keep it off the rev limiter. If you want to do a rolling burnout, then just slowly release the brake.

If the car is not stalling and the tires are not spining, then the clutch is burning. My line locks stopped working at the strip, well one worked. So I had to learn the hard way. I must say it was easier than I thought it'd be, but I was in the water box. I can pop the clutch at 3,000 rpms and break them loose, but as soon as I let the clutch out, then i'm on the gas and hitting 5,000 rpms, all in second gear.

If you have 3.55's, then practice popping the clutch in 2nd, with some water on the road. A 1st gear burnout isn't going to do squat.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:01 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

lol here is video of mustangbatman trying to do what you are speaking of.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vFUc...e=channel_page

Heres me slow mo rolling burnout and standing still, switichng gears.....stalling lol

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...ng&view=videos

The sound of death, same vids with just exhaust, car sounds like a JET in reverse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz30B...e=channel_page

Quick Reply: BURNOUT - HELP!