Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

BURNOUT - HELP!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:04 AM
chwithad
1st Gear Member

Default BURNOUT - HELP!

I tried doing a burnout in my '05 Mustang GT yesterday and it didn't quite go as planned....I put the car in 1st gear, held the clutch down all the way, and gave it gas to around 4,000RPM. I quickly released the clutch pedal, while continuing to give it steady gas at 4,000RPM, and moved my left foot to the brake pedal. That didn't work. I even tried dropping the clutch and continue to give it gas without holding the brake pedal. I was sure that wasn't going to work, but after my first attempt, i figured i did it right the first time so i'd give it a shot without holding the brake pedal. Does anyone else have this problem??? I TURNED OFF traction control by the way, in case that was one of ur concerns. I know it would be easier if I either had a line-lock system to disengage the rear brakes so that my tires could spin easier, or even if i had rear drums since they wouldn't hold the rear tires to tightly like my rear disk brakes do. I'm planning on going to the drag strip sometime soon and I'm obviously going to have to master the burnout in order to warm my tires up. Hopefully someone will have some solid advice on this, it's such a heartache to not be able to spin my tires and show off the power of our great cars. Thanks to everyone who replys.

- Chad Harvey
Old 02-26-2009, 07:47 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I found it a little harder to spin before the CAI & tune install. But if you're talking about a standing burnout, I can't help. Never did one. Besides, I just can't see wasting perfectly good rubber considering what I spent on tires. I guess my age is showing...
Old 02-26-2009, 09:15 AM
chwithad
1st Gear Member

Well than how could I do a burnout from a roll, and not a standstill? Have you done that before? And I'm not going to destroy my tires, lol, I'm only going to do it on the track, and maybe once a week-month when I'm off the track. I'm not going to pull a 30 second burnout like some people do, scattering shreds of molten rubber towards bystandars behind them haha. I'm just planning on pulling a 5 second burnout or so and only do it occasionally. Thanks for your quick reply and any other help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:23 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Put some water on the ground making your own "water box" like the strip will have.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:50 AM
chwithad
1st Gear Member

ok, so after i lay some water down and have my rear tires in the water puddle, what is the exact technique to do a burnout in my 05 mustang gt?
Old 02-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

The stock car should be able to do it without water or without a line lock.

If it can't it's a pretty ***** *** "muscle" car.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:00 AM
chwithad
1st Gear Member

It's not like i cant do a burnout because of my car....I just don't know how to do one properly, don't know how to control the amount of time i let the tires spin, and don't wanna stall lol.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

From what I've read around here reving to 4 grand and dropping the clutch should be enough to break the tires loose.

The artwork comes into keeping the brake down just enough to keep the car from rolling forward to quickly.

I've never done it. To much of a ***** because I don't wanna fry my clutch yet. Car isn't paid for.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'm glad someone else admits to being as big a ***** as I am. LOL!
Old 02-26-2009, 11:40 AM
07heat
2nd Gear Member

Puff Puff Pass...all the BURNOUT help i can give....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BURNOUT - HELP!