Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple 5PSI supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 06:18 PM
odel
1st Gear Member

Default Whipple 5PSI supercharger

Good evening Experts,

I have searching through the forum about SC, and at this point, I am considering the Ford/Whipple 5PSI S/C kit installed by a Fordracing approved dealership.This Whipple model is not cooled, but I figure 5PSI boost should not run the engine too hot. I am wondering if anyone has had the kit for a while and whether it is meeting expectations. Is there a real difference in low end torque in street driving? Does the engine temperature gets higher? any problem with clutch or tranny? etc. Is it noisy ( I don't care for S/C whining noise)

Any comments would be quite helpful, so thank you in advance.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:46 PM
2007VistaBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

There are no adverse driveability issues with this kit, it is perfect for daily driving and reliable. The kit with the conservative Ford tune adds 100HP at the crank and plenty of low end to mid range torque to keep your right foot happy. The charger is quiet under normal cruising but, you can hear it whine when floored. It's a good kit priced right and it is upgradeable to the H.O. kit buy adding the "big boost" pack if you decide to down the line.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:44 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

You wont be disappointed but the mod bug may bite hard after and you may start on the never ending quest to more HP and get the intercooled version. You will have instant TQ (at about 1800 rpms) and that will carry thru to max rpms!......great seat of the pants feel and the whine is awesome. I can only hear mine when the windows are up as I have side exhaust but the gauges and the smile on my face when at WOT assure me that the whipple is working!
Old 03-07-2009, 07:55 PM
odel
1st Gear Member

Thank you so much for the feedback. You are unfortunately right about the mod bug. But then again, smiling when driving is an appealing proposition...Does the engine run significantly hotter?
Old 03-07-2009, 08:15 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

with the intercooled kit it actually runs cooler then before due to the 160 deg thermostat..... I would imagine that if it were hot outside and the car was run hard with the non intercooled kit you may experience heat soak at some point. I have yet to feel that but there is a difference between a 60 deg day and a 90 degree day as far as seat of the pants feel...the car just feels like it has less power....I described the H.O. version as a big block feel regardless of temps outside. When mine was dyno tuned it was 93 degrees outside and high humidity and it still made 455 rwhp on a conservative tune and that was on the 3rd pull.....my tuner/installer is emphatic that the car be at operating temp before any WOT runs and had a 15 min cool down period between each run (car at idle)...so I was happy to say the least!!!!

EDIT- I have the Gen 1 whipple so you would get the gen2 which is more efficient!
Old 03-07-2009, 09:25 PM
stang910
2nd Gear Member

Since the price increase on the Whipple kits I don't see any reason to purchase the non-intercooled kit anymore. A basic level Saleen supercharger can be had for the same price and comes with an intercooler. Now IMO the Whipple will outperform the Saleen with higher boost, but if your gonna be looking to make that kinda power you should just start out with the H.O. kit to begin with.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:08 AM
odel
1st Gear Member

I hear you Stang910, but I was not aware of the price increase. I have been quoted $5,365 for the 5PSI kit + $2K labor and $6.500 + $2.5K labor for the 550HP kit, both installed by a FordRacing certified center.
I am concerned that I would go through the clutch, the tranny or the engine every 10,000 miles if I go with the high output kit. I don't know the tolerance specs, but can the 4.6L engine + tranny sustain a 540lb-ft of torque instead of the stock 320?
The engine is great, but does run out of breath in fifth gear, and that's where I am looking for improvement with a blower. Never did an aftermarket S/C before, so maybe I am off track with my opinion and would welcome any experience feedback. Thank you
Old 03-08-2009, 08:39 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

$2,000 to install, Jesus! That's freaking insane. If you just want more power in 5th gear, then get 4.10 gears and save yourself a butt load of cash.

Installing the non-intercooled kit isn't much harder than changing spark plugs.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:44 AM
stang910
2nd Gear Member

If the only reason your not getting the H.O. kit is you don't think the car can handle that kinda power just get a 8psi pulley with the H.O. kit. My car has been holding up just fine with the H.O. kit at 10 psi, but I did just replace the clutch.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:18 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 12-05-2010 at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Whipple 5PSI supercharger