Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Stroker or no stroker?

Old 03-10-2009, 02:50 PM
explict
4th Gear Member

Default Stroker or no stroker?

Ok, so I have been thinking about getting my motor built.
I see Livernois has a stroker kit and a non-stroker kit (rotating assemblies) for $2.1k and $2k respectively. It's only $100, but I mean, if I were to opt for one of these kits, would I swing the extra $100? What benefit will I see with the stroker kit? ONLY extra cubes? Or does it actually produce more N/A power?(Or less?) I'm sure I would see more power per psi..

Fill me in.

OR.....

Another route I have been thinking is buying a built short-block or long block and doing the motor swap myself. Probably save on shop labour for building my block?
Old 03-10-2009, 03:50 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

this is the direction i'm leaning in....there's
no good reason why we can't do this...

Originally Posted by explict
Another route I have been thinking is buying a built short-block or long block and doing the motor swap myself. Probably save on shop labour for building my block?

Last edited by hammeron; 03-10-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I'm going to stay with stock displacement. I don't see the need for more cubes with the power i'm making now. If I were building a race car then stroker all the way. Doesn't a stroker decrease the longevity of the motor? I've always heard people say a stroker will wear out sooner, maybe the bearings wear quicker because of the longer stroke.

I don't know what i'm talking about.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:01 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Strokers give more lateral force in the cylinder. I'm assuming this is why people generally say that stroker motors don't live as long, whether or not it contributes, I don't really know.

If it means anything, the mechanic I go to doesn't recommend stroking our motors, he's done a ton of builds and is very knowledgable (I trust his judgment). I will more likely than not be keeping the stock displacement as well when I forge which will hopefully be on my own terms
Old 03-10-2009, 05:53 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i am planning on staying w/ stock displacement as well. looking into an aluminator bc i may be able to get a good price on it thru my mustang club. i wont be going crazy w/ the power either aiming for maybe 550. my friend who does most of my work doesnt recommend going w/ stroker either, being that my car is 99% street car and not a race car and i plan to keep it for a long while.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

stock CID build it to RPM the ***** out of it!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:39 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

IMO the question to stroke can be answered in one simple phrase...

GO BIG OR GO HOME

Specifically, it is a fact that cubic inches increase not only HP but flow but it is also a fact that strokers are more tempermental in that they do not like to spin high and the loss of material makes for a more 'precise' build being needed. It also gets more critical in the valve train when you decrease and increase clearances.

My opinion is that if you want a stroker do it right and go big. Get the big bore block and go for 320+ ci. That is power, flow, and performance worth the price of admission to me.

For what you get for a 'small' stroker (298 or 302) - it is just not worth it IMO.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:25 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

So I think I will stick with stock displacement at this time as I was wondering the same thing.....I agree there is no replacement for displacement but for the street IMO I just dont need it...thanks modaddict
Old 03-11-2009, 06:12 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Modaddict.

You gotta love it.

A 9 SECOND DAILY DRIVER. Oh yeah.

Thats what I want.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:28 AM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

Originally Posted by explict
Ok, so I have been thinking about getting my motor built.
I see Livernois has a stroker kit and a non-stroker kit (rotating assemblies) for $2.1k and $2k respectively. It's only $100, but I mean, if I were to opt for one of these kits, would I swing the extra $100? What benefit will I see with the stroker kit? ONLY extra cubes? Or does it actually produce more N/A power?(Or less?) I'm sure I would see more power per psi..

Fill me in.
pm eaglestroker, he stroked his out to a 302 (i think) and had very nice results

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stroker or no stroker?