Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Have a Few Header Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:21 AM
GeritGoul
3rd Gear Member

Default Have a Few Header Questions

Just did my taxes and im gettin a good chunk of change back and, of course, went straight to brenspeed.com to see what i should get..first thing i've always wanted to do was the exhaust..since im already breathin good with the intake i want to s*** good now..

Thinkin bout some long tubes.
http://www.brenspeed.com/16410.html

Questions,

1.Ceramic or Chrome? whats the 100 dollar difference?

2.(Note:BBK full length headers require a BBK short X pipe or H pipe to complete installation to the cat-back exhaust system)..Will my stock H-pipe work with these?

3.Would this be the brand/headers to go with to get the most power?(car will not see FI and my tune is on the way)
NOTICE: i did not ask this question with the word BEST! give me props

4.Long tubes are a better choice over shortys, right?

5.Someone want to throw their two cents in for a complete exhaust system?

Thanks for all the responses!
Old 03-26-2009, 01:12 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by GeritGoul
Just did my taxes and im gettin a good chunk of change back and, of course, went straight to brenspeed.com to see what i should get..first thing i've always wanted to do was the exhaust..since im already breathin good with the intake i want to s*** good now..

Thinkin bout some long tubes.
http://www.brenspeed.com/16410.html

Questions,

1.Ceramic or Chrome? whats the 100 dollar difference?

2.(Note:BBK full length headers require a BBK short X pipe or H pipe to complete installation to the cat-back exhaust system)..Will my stock H-pipe work with these?

3.Would this be the brand/headers to go with to get the most power?(car will not see FI and my tune is on the way)
NOTICE: i did not ask this question with the word BEST! give me props

4.Long tubes are a better choice over shortys, right?

5.Someone want to throw their two cents in for a complete exhaust system?

Thanks for all the responses!
1. ceramic will hold up better in the long run and is recommended for any header over any other coating (other then titanium)
2. dont think so but I am sure any exhaust shop can reuse it depending on the header and its shape......
3. All of them had great gains and the Kooks, ARH, and BBK are nice to name a few.....there was a header shootout in one of the most popular mags recently that can help
4. IMO yes they are and have greater gains then the shorties
5. cant sorry
Old 03-26-2009, 09:16 AM
GeritGoul
3rd Gear Member

dang..so i the H-pipe wouldnt work is what your saying? i was hopin to just change out to the headers and leave the rest alone..for now
Old 03-26-2009, 01:31 PM
GeritGoul
3rd Gear Member

bump for shum advice
Old 03-26-2009, 03:37 PM
Fullsayl
2nd Gear Member

Advice we have lots of here. First, the article referred to earlier is:

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ers/index.html

Keep in mind that the gains posted in that article are WITH a custom Dyno Tune AND on a supercharged S197. So you will NOT see the same gains as shown on the test. Pay close attention as well to the notes about fitment and installation in the article. The more that your shop has to f*** around with it, the more the installation is going to cost you.

In regards to your H-Pipe question, the stock H-Pipe will not work and having your shop try to modify it will undoubtedly cost more than a new one from your brand of choice. You of course have 2 options in H vs. X-pipes. Supposedly X pipes generate a few more HP, and H pipes sound better, but that is often a matter of personal opinion and/or tuning. Do a search and you will undoubtedly find a myriad of posts and opinions on this. If your shop will do a O/R install for you (i.e. sans the Cats), keep in mind that you may have to replace that with a catted version before you can pass emissions (depending on where you live). Also remember that if you get caught without Cats, the fines can be extreme as it is illegal.

As far as a recommendation goes, I love my JBA's and have had great results from Bassani in the past. I have seen nothing but issues with BBK's headers and would not recommend them, but my advice would be to ask you shop which they are most comfortable with. If you want my 2 cents, I would probably go with JBA LT's, O/R-H, and a mid-muffler setup. Best sounding car I have heard had exactly that, and it was impressive.

~Matty

Last edited by Fullsayl; 03-26-2009 at 03:45 PM. Reason: developmentally challenged moment
Old 03-26-2009, 04:56 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

If I did it over again, I would do Kooks for their ability to place nice with O2 sensors. My O2-related check engine light is driving me nuts.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:51 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I just ordered some JBA ceramic shorties for my car and they are on their way now. I got them for $440 shipped from latemodelrestoration.com. They look to be the best shorty header design as the BBKs seem to fall flat on their face at higher rpms. On JBA's website, they show ~20hp and 20ftlbs of torque across the band with these headers and i think the main difference in power between these shorties and long tubes is that people with long tubes always get straight pipes which remove the cats. The consensus on this forum seems to be that an offroad H or X pipe will net you 10rwhp so thats where i believe the long tube guys get their extra power. It is cheaper to buy shorties and an offroad h pipe than it is to buy a long tube setup, but thats just my opinion.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:19 PM
gandyj
1st Gear Member

You'll get varying opinions on what type/brand of headers to get. The folks that advocate long tube headers and X pipes say you get more horsepower than you will with shorties and an H pipe. That may or may not be true but it's your car and it's ultimately your decision. I have the tuned length ceramic coated BBK shorties on my car (that I installed myself) with a hi-flo catted H pipe and the Pypes Mid-Muffler system. I could not make myself pay the extremely high prices for long tube headers, although there are some long tubes now that don't cost as much, and I have absolutety no interest in drag racing as most folks who install long tube headers seem to. I just wanted my car to sound better. My H pipe was originally an off-road version until after I installed the mid-muffler system. It sounded great but was just too noisy inside the car. After I installed the hi-flo cats the noise inside the car went away and the exhaust still sounds great. Good luck with your decision.

Joe

Last edited by gandyj; 03-26-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:07 PM
GeritGoul
3rd Gear Member

wow dang..soo much knowledge lol..thanks guys...i dont so much have my heart set on LTs, i dont have my heart set on anything yet really...i just know that i want a new exhaust, no drone but a loud deep muscle sound from the outside lol (doesnt everyone? ?)...HP/TQ is always good to have but i want to go ultimately for the best sound...i would really like to NOT go with the O/R H-pipe cause of the drone i think the will bring....

Shortys are still going to flow more freely than the stock exhaust manifold right? and get a nice little sound as well?
Old 03-27-2009, 01:18 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by GeritGoul
wow dang..soo much knowledge lol..thanks guys...i dont so much have my heart set on LTs, i dont have my heart set on anything yet really...i just know that i want a new exhaust, no drone but a loud deep muscle sound from the outside lol (doesnt everyone? ?)...HP/TQ is always good to have but i want to go ultimately for the best sound...i would really like to NOT go with the O/R H-pipe cause of the drone i think the will bring....

Shortys are still going to flow more freely than the stock exhaust manifold right? and get a nice little sound as well?
Shorties will change the exhaust note and be smoother and deeper and flow better then the stock manifolds...make sure they are equal length shorties (BBK) and get the ceramic coating (worth the extra money) or they will be as ugly as the stock ones in a yr or so. You should gain some mid range torque/hp as well but not much from what I have read. Stick to high flow CATs too or you may drone like crazy (stockers are fine too)

Quick Reply: Have a Few Header Questions