Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Opinions on FRPP Hot Rod Cams

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:19 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Default Opinions on FRPP Hot Rod Cams

I would like to hear from those of you who have had FRPP Hot Rod Cams installed. I know that you probably like the way they sound, but I have a few questions...

Did they have a noticeable effect on horsepower/torque?

Did your fuel mileage drop significantly?

Are you experiencing any issues with the cams?

If you are cammed and in South Florida, I would like to hear them first hand. Also, where did you get them installed and for how much?

Thanks
Old 04-13-2009, 04:35 PM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
I would like to hear from those of you who have had FRPP Hot Rod Cams installed. I know that you probably like the way they sound, but I have a few questions...

Did they have a noticeable effect on horsepower/torque?

Did your fuel mileage drop significantly?

Are you experiencing any issues with the cams?

If you are cammed and in South Florida, I would like to hear them first hand. Also, where did you get them installed and for how much?

Thanks
Hey there JD, I just got my FRPP HotRod Cams installed last Thursday by Steeda along with a 94 Octane Custom Dyno tune on their Mustang Dyno. Do I Like the way they sound ??...Noooo, I LOVE THE WAY THEY SOUND !!! Plus, I was incredibly happy with the outcome and 29 additional HP . I travel 75 miles daily at about 65-70 mph and there's hardly any increase in gas mileage. There was some minor surging at idle that had to be worked on, but they tweaked the tune to compensate and corrected it.
Hope this helps...

Last edited by 07 GT E UPP; 04-14-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:40 PM
DM797
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 GT E UPP
Hey there JD, I just got my FRPP HotRod Cams installed last Thursday by Steeda along with a 94 Octane Custom Dyno tune on their Mustang Dyno. Do I Like the way they sound ??...Noooo, I LOVE THE WAY THEY SOUND !!! Plus, I was incredibly happy with the outcome of 29 additioal HP to the rear wheels. I travel 75 miles daily at about 65-70 mph and there's hardly any increase in gas mileage. There was some minor surging at idle that had to be worked on, but they tweaked the tune to compensate and corrected it.
Hope this helps...
Where did you get the work done? Is your car a daily summer driver?

Thanks,
Old 04-13-2009, 11:58 PM
Fullsayl
2nd Gear Member

Not a FRPP install, but it is a COMParable product LOL

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...installed.html

FWIW - I love'em

~Matty
Old 04-14-2009, 03:45 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DM797
Where did you get the work done? Is your car a daily summer driver?

Thanks,
Hey DM.....Yep, My car is a daily summer driver during the months of April to
October. Call my friend Pat at the Steeda.Ca shop in Milton, Ontario.
Just PM me if you need other info....

Last edited by 07 GT E UPP; 04-14-2009 at 03:59 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:39 AM
08BlackStang

Whats the average cost of getting these cams installed?
Old 04-14-2009, 08:48 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Hey there JD, I just got my FRPP HotRod Cams installed last Thursday by Steeda along with a 94 Octane Custom Dyno tune on their Mustang Dyno. Do I Like the way they sound ??...Noooo, I LOVE THE WAY THEY SOUND !!! Plus, I was incredibly happy with the outcome of 29 additioal HP to the rear wheels. I travel 75 miles daily at about 65-70 mph and there's hardly any increase in gas mileage. There was some minor surging at idle that had to be worked on, but they tweaked the tune to compensate and corrected it.
Hope this helps...
Thanks for everyone's replies!

07GT - How is normal every day driving with thses cams? I like the rough idle sound, but are they smooth when lightly accelerating from a stop? Or do you have to apply more fuel when letting the clutch out?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:58 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08BlackStang
Whats the average cost of getting these cams installed?
For your info....It's a little more expensive here in Canada compared to there in the US. Cost me about $ 1,100 for cams, $ 350.00 for Dyno Tune and $450.00 for 6 hours labour. Total $ 1,900.00 and worth every penny
Old 04-14-2009, 10:12 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
Thanks for everyone's replies!

07GT - How is normal every day driving with thses cams? I like the rough idle sound, but are they smooth when lightly accelerating from a stop? Or do you have to apply more fuel when letting the clutch out?
Hi JD.....Normal every day driving is the same on the highway. And, really no difference for me in the city when letting out the clutch and accelerating from a stop light.
However, there is a smile on my face while sitting there waiting for the light to change as I'm listening to the lopping cams and feeling the car now shaking A good tune and with Long Tubes etc etc., you will also like the kick in the pants increase in HP.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:18 PM
bonestang
1st Gear Member

Hi JD.....Normal every day driving is the same on the highway. And, really no difference for me in the city when letting out the clutch and accelerating from a stop light.
However, there is a smile on my face while sitting there waiting for the light to change as I'm listening to the lopping cams and feeling the car now shaking A good tune and with Long Tubes etc etc., you will also like the kick in the pants increase in HP.
^Absolutely. Got $500 and $750 quotes from Ford dealerships in the area, decided to buy the tools and do it myself. Pretty straightforward install with the right tools, except I think the valve covers are leaking Oh well, an excuse to get in the garage and do some wrenching.

Runs awesome with Bamachips tune, no issues. With an auto you can feel it pulsating throught the brakes when at a stop light, I love 'em. Not sure about gas mileage yet

Quick Reply: Opinions on FRPP Hot Rod Cams