Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

where is the transmission oil check GT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 04:43 AM
johney5

Default where is the transmission oil check GT?

Stupid question......how do you check the manual transmission fluid on a GT...(where is it?)?
Old 06-21-2005, 04:57 AM
nickbrace
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: where is the transmission oil check GT?

I am sure I read that you dont get to it from under the hood......I think rather it is under the car somewhere near one of the front tires?!

Old 06-21-2005, 08:00 AM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

You can't check it I know mine is dripping fluid they said it was overfilled from factory thats why it was dripping they gave it back and 2 months later dripping again.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:18 AM
ChristopherCamel
2nd Gear Member

you cant check it..as far as i know it is a completey sealed trans and supposedily there is no reason to check it etc blah blah blah..at least that is what they told me..i got a v6 manual tranny
Old 06-21-2005, 11:06 AM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

I know the auto is sealed but I don't know about the manual. Most manuals don't have a dip stick though. You usually have to pull an allen head screw out of the tranny and fill to the bottom of the hole.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:26 AM
huffhuff
2nd Gear Member

check your owners manual, i recal it shows to fill the V6 tranny to the hole and the GT to 1/2" below the hole. when i change manual tranny fluid i use a 6 ft 5/8 clear hose from the hardware store. feed down past the engine to the tranny and use a small funnel on the upper end of the hose to fill. much easier than fumbling around underneath with a small pump. generally you can't overfill.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:39 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I started a thread Sunday/Monday "Manual Trans and Engine Oil FYI" I think. I just changed out my manual trans fluid on Sunday.

Are you good with a wrench? The fill and drain plugs are operated with a 3/8" drive ratchet by itself. You check the fluid by crawling under the car, remove fill plug, if fluid starts running out, put back in real quick, you be OK, or, let it run out till it is level with hole, then you won't be over full if that is your proplem. Fill plug is passenger side of trans forward, about midway up.

If not good with a wrench. Pull car in a driveway position, or something so that you can scoot under car and admire transmission. Sometimes I do that for a quick look, car half on driveway, half on street, or, put one side on curb with other side in street, and crawl in the street gutter under car. Look for where leak is really coming from. Could be a bad seal. Could be coming from the vent on the top because it is overfull. Could be coming from rear or front seal. Take a can of "Chemtool" carburator cleaner or like item, hose down the messy leaked area, drive for a couple of days and go admire your transmission again.

Good Luck.
ORIGINAL: johney5

Stupid question......how do you check the manual transmission fluid on a GT...(where is it?)?
Old 06-21-2005, 04:42 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: RICVA05

You can't check it I know mine is dripping fluid they said it was overfilled from factory thats why it was dripping they gave it back and 2 months later dripping again.
It's over full so it's dripping fluid[:-]....umm I'm calling [sm=bs.gif]. There's a bad seal somewhere if it's coming from anywhere other than the vent on top of the tranny. More than likely at the input or output shaft (engine side or driveshaft side) It's a brand new car, have the dealer fix it. I'm the first one to say 'Ill just fix it myself' but not on a brand new car.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:27 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: RICVA05

It's over full so it's dripping fluid[:-]....umm I'm calling [sm=bs.gif]. There's a bad seal somewhere if it's coming from anywhere other than the vent on top of the tranny. More than likely at the input or output shaft (engine side or driveshaft side) It's a brand new car, have the dealer fix it. I'm the first one to say 'Ill just fix it myself' but not on a brand new car.

Thanks I'm taking it back tomorow it had been in the shop 2 months ago the tech called Ford and thats what they told him just drain a little out. It stopped dripping for a little while.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:39 PM
dreem363
1st Gear Member

hey guys i want to add Royal Purple rear end gear oil(transmission fluid) on my '06 manual GT. Is it something that can be done in the garage with floor jacks or do I need a shop to do it?
Anybody know how many bottles I will need?Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: where is the transmission oil check GT?