Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cutting a hole in my GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 04:46 PM
AZ Redfire

Default Cutting a hole in my GT

I just picked up my new GT on Saturday. (Premium, 5 speed, etc.)

I have it scheduled to put a Sunroof in next Wednesday. I am a little nervous about cutting up a car that I have only owned for 4 days. Has anyone else here tried one of these. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Oh and I'm new, so: Hi, Love this site so far.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:58 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Cutting a hole in my GT

I live in AZ, and I have heard from friends that it has a green house effect cooking you're brain in the summer.
I wouldn't do it, but let us know how you like it!
Old 06-22-2005, 06:41 PM
AZ Redfire

I'm not that worried about the heat issue, although that is part of the reason that I didn't go with the convertible. I'm a bit north of you and up the hill so, we're not quite as hot here. Plus the sunroof has a sliding sunshade if I do go to the valley.

I currently have two other cars with sunroofs, (73 Chevelle, and 78 Mercedes), so I'm prepared for the heat issue. But every sunroof that I have had prior to one this one has been factory installed. I've never an aftermarket sunroof before.

Plus every car is different as far as wind noise, etc. (My Chevelle has terrible wind noise at highway speeds, the Mercedes not so bad.) I was hoping someone here had experiance with this particular unit.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:19 PM
SpazHairlip
I ♥ Acer

I'd imagine that you're going to get a good amount of wind noise, since the roof wasn't designed to have a sunroof. I'd be worried about the Mustang using it's roof for torsion support and if you drive her hard you could warp, crack, damage the sunroof. I'd worry about engineering structure over cooking your own brain. However one could argue that you already cooked it, since you're looking to cut a hole in a perfectly good Mustang :/
Old 06-22-2005, 10:14 PM
welshstar
1st Gear Member

Hi,

Seems like a very strange thing to do, why compromise the structual integrity ?

Any aftermarket sunroof is going to leak and be very noisy especially in a small coupe roof. No way would i think about it.

If you really want a sunburn sell me your coupe and but a verte !!

Steve
Old 06-22-2005, 10:15 PM
AZ Redfire

ORIGINAL: SpazHairlip

However one could argue that you already cooked it, since you're looking to cut a hole in a perfectly good Mustang :/
I'm sure there is plenty of other evidence to support that theory.

As for the engineering structure, it should still have considerably more support than the convertibles.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:27 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

Don't do it it scares me thinking about it. Might not leak at first but years down the road.Factory installed sun roofs can channel the water out but a after market one can't.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:51 AM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

Well, I beg to differ. I have had a Webasto sunroof in my '97 Chevy truck since it was almost new. The way they are designed, what little water that leaks in, drains into a pan and goes out through four corner plastic tubes that empty out on to the ground at each front door and the rear of the cab. I have taken the truck through the car wash dozens of times, and it has yet to leak. Webasto makes the sunroofs for many of the new cars, and its a high quality unit. It can tilt up in back or open fully. Hell, it even has a rain sensor! Back in early '98, I sold a comemorative Colt 45 to get it. Installed then, it came to $1351. Worth every penny! BUT, I doubt Ide f**k up the great lines of a Mustang with one. To each his own...
Old 06-23-2005, 03:02 AM
SilverR1_04
2nd Gear Member

it tremendously lowers the value of the car. my bro-in-law is a car buyer, and they don't even like to buy any mustang with an aftermarket sunroof. something about ruining the handing...
Old 08-02-2005, 04:29 PM
RedFireGT

I'm a little late coming into this conversation, but I've got to tell you my experience. First, this Mustang is the first car I've owned in the last 15 years that didn't have a sunroof, factory installed or otherwise.

In 1992 I bought a GMC Typhoon (for you uninitiated this was a 2-door Blazer body, all-wheel drive, turbo V6 with nearly 300 HP). With it's all Black leather interior, including the headliner, it was really dark in there. There was no factory sunroof available. I had an aftermarket pop-up sunroof installed. Made a world of difference. Fresh air, no noise, and more light.

Did it lower the value? You tell me. I bought the car in 1992 with 1200 miles on it, and paid about $25K for it. In 1992 I sold it with almost 100,000 miles on it and got more than $17K.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12525/1BE6F5B5D24B4CBA98D6A357D71F57B4.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Cutting a hole in my GT