Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tune question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 12:43 AM
overcome1236
2nd Gear Member

Default Tune question

Is it bad if you normally drive around with an 87 octane tune but whenever you wanna race some1 you put your 93 octane race tune and change the gas .. If you do this alot or often can it be bad for your car ????
Old 05-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

No, as long you have the correct octane in the tank you can swap tunes at whatever frequency suits you.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:23 AM
overcome1236
2nd Gear Member

thats pretty awesome ... does your tank have to be on E to change the tune and gas?..... and whats the best 3 tunes do you suggest to get id obvs get an 87 octane .... but like 91 race? 91 torque? 93 performance 93 race?..... what has shown the best results?

Last edited by overcome1236; 05-06-2009 at 09:24 AM. Reason: made mistake
Old 05-06-2009, 11:24 AM
bonestang
1st Gear Member

I have Bamachips 87 Performance, 89 Torque, and 91 Race. The race and torque tune feel the best. I only used the performance tune for 20 minutes before I tested out the torque tune as the performance tune didn't impress me that much. I had a canned tune previous to the Bamachips so I was expecting a big difference. Overall they feel very similar with my set-up.

No numbers to back any of it up (just my butt dyno), so take it as it is.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:27 AM
overcome1236
2nd Gear Member

yeah i figured id get the race and torque.... i was thinking about getting this... BamaChips C&L Street / Racer Intake.... comes with 3 tunes for $319
Old 05-06-2009, 11:42 AM
bonestang
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a good deal. The tunes alone are $100+. That seems to be a popular CAI.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I have Brenspeeds 87, 89 and 93 tunes since those are the octanes available where I live. If you travel, it's good to have the 87 tune (keep the tuner in the car). I travel often with the Stang and have had more than 1 instance where I couldn't get anything higher than 87. I typically run my 89 tune as I feel it's more responsive for all-around driving whereas the the 93 really kicks azz at the higher RPM's. But even the 87 custom tune kicks butt over the stock 87.

Try to have as little of the lower octane in your tank when you fill with the higher octane. Our PCM can adjust for minor variance in the octane so there's no need to run the tank bone dry. Best bet would be to find a few gallons of aviation fuel to top-off a tank if you're worried about it but I really wouldn't worry about mixing 2 or 3 gallons of a lower octane with higher. DO NOT use octane booster. Word is it'll foul your plugs or cause other problems.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:54 AM
overcome1236
2nd Gear Member

and when switching cars i can just unlock the device from liveload right? ... it shows that option... idk if i have to return my current car back to stock tho first? it doesnt say anything about that i figured id just trade it in and leave the tune it has in it... unlock the device and set it up with my new car.... would that work? i appreciate all the responses btw.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Redfire427

Originally Posted by overcome1236
and when switching cars i can just unlock the device from liveload right? ... it shows that option... idk if i have to return my current car back to stock tho first? it doesnt say anything about that i figured id just trade it in and leave the tune it has in it... unlock the device and set it up with my new car.... would that work? i appreciate all the responses btw.
If you want to use your tuner on another car, you must first return the first car to the stock file. Also, you can only switch vehicles 5 times on an SCT X3. In other words, you can't have a tune in two different vehicles at the same time.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:55 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

You're going to want to be careful doing this, IMO, especially running the car hard right after a fill-up and retune if you're moving from lower octane to a higher one. Some of the older fuel will still be in the fuel system, and you may get pinging. Also.......:

I had been using the 93 Torque Bama tune for months, but for the last two months went back to stock for various reasons. I figured I'd put 93 in it so it would be easy to change back, but as time went on I decided to put 89 in it, since I knew I was just throwing my money away. Big mistake: with 89 I got pinging on the stock tune! Fast-forward to last week, where I had changed back to 91, ran the tank to less than a 1/4 tank, filled back up with 93, installed the intake + 91 tune from Bama (which I had tried before without issue). Got more pinging :-( I did notice though that within a few days it seemed to work itself out. Last night I refilled with 93 again, and reflashed to 93. It doesn't seem to ping at all now...

The reason I mention all of this is because I now feel like the car will automatically advance timing on its own (stock tune or not), and as a result, if you go from 87 to 93, run it for a while, and then go back to 87 gas, the car may have a tendency to ping until it backs off the timing on it's own. I also think that this auto-advance does not get reset by simply changing tunes, which is why my car was so upset with the 91 tune until it was able to back off the auto-advance (the tune had a higher baseline timing advance).

Disclaimer: I really know nothing about how the tuning and learning works. All this has been my own observation, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised or offended if someone called BS on my theory.

Quick Reply: Tune question