Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Axle Back Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:48 PM
n1stang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by abarker8541
not gonna find that with 3v ohc motor.
I think I did with the mac axle backs, they sound really beefy
Old 05-30-2009, 12:16 AM
mikemc04gt
2nd Gear Member

I recently put some SLP LM's on my brother's 08 GT and they sound great under acceleration. They are basically a stainless muffler delete with very nice double wall polished tips. Not too loud at idle and also sound evil as the car decelerates in gear and they have that old muscle car sound you mentioned. Intsallation and fit/finish very good.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:11 AM
n1stang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikemc04gt
I recently put some SLP LM's on my brother's 08 GT and they sound great under acceleration. They are basically a stainless muffler delete with very nice double wall polished tips. Not too loud at idle and also sound evil as the car decelerates in gear and they have that old muscle car sound you mentioned. Intsallation and fit/finish very good.
I listened to those loud mouths and they sounded super loud and make a loud raspy popping sound under acceleration, I like a deeper sound.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:12 PM
mikemc04gt
2nd Gear Member

n1stang, did you hear an actual car or a youtube clip? My borther's car is a convertible and we took it out into the backroads for some hard driving once the LM's were on. I got wood.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:25 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

I've had the Flowmasters, and just last night changed over to Macs. The flows are nice. Fairly quiet until you romp on it, then they roar. The Macs are much louder and more aggressive. I really dig em. They sound very close to my buddies 03 GT with Magnaflows. My flows need to be sold, so if you decide on them let me know and I'll give you a smokin deal.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:12 PM
BlackS197Stang
1st Gear Member

I had the Macs and they sounded great, but they drone worse than any other axlebacks handsdown. Way too much for me. I've got the Hooker Aerochambers now. I really like them, but they're expensive. I heard the SLP Loudmouths and loved them. You might want to look into the Pypes midmufflers too.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:35 PM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

I had LMs and to me they sounded like crap, too obnoxious and my car sounded like a dump truck. The LMs had to go after a week. I switched to the GTAs and they were too quiet. I then switched to the Stingers and I would recommend them if you're looking for beefy and deep sound but not obnoxious. Hope drone doesn't bother you tho. I'm planning to go with the Stingers again on my new GT.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:06 PM
PHX8839
2nd Gear Member

I have the Flowmasters. They sound a little louder at idle. They have a good sound when your on the throttle. They are not the loudest, but that's not what i was looking for, just a nice sound. The 4 inch tips look good as well. There is little to no extra noise inside when driving at normal speeds.

I guess its a question of what you want. I think it would be hard to gauge the sound off of your computer. I would say find friends with different mufflers or go to a car show and see if you can get people to start their cars up and see what you like.

I got my flowmasters off of ebay for $305.99 from the seller Performance Peddler with free shipping.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:34 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I am running Flows..American Thunders..I get a lot of postive comments on the sound, but I had no idea how great they did sound, until I was behind my car at 6000 rpm on the Dyno.
Another thing I found, changing my Brenspeed tune from 87 to 93 made them sound much better.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:23 AM
n1stang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikemc04gt
n1stang, did you hear an actual car or a youtube clip? My borther's car is a convertible and we took it out into the backroads for some hard driving once the LM's were on. I got wood.
Yeah, they sounded nice, but not what i am looking for. They don't have enough of a deep tone

Quick Reply: Axle Back Exhaust