Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cold Air Intake C.A.I

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 01:26 AM
n1stang
1st Gear Member

Default Cold Air Intake C.A.I

Do all cold air intakes need an ECU tune and need to run on 91 octane or are there some that run with stock ECU and 87 octane fuel?
Old 05-30-2009, 09:22 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

There are some CAI that require no tune. I have the Granatelli CAI which came in with its own MAF sensor and required no tune. Designed to run on 87 octane. I had no issues whatsoever.

However, about a month later, I decided to get the SCT X3 tuner and tunes from Brenspeed (same CAI). Many here will tell you that a Stang with a tune runs different (=better) that one without...guess what? They are absolutely right. BTW, I experienced to difference running the stang while in no-tune mode.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:38 AM
n1stang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TPony
There are some CAI that require no tune. I have the Granatelli CAI which came in with its own MAF sensor and required no tune. Designed to run on 87 octane. I had no issues whatsoever.

However, about a month later, I decided to get the SCT X3 tuner and tunes from Brenspeed (same CAI). Many here will tell you that a Stang with a tune runs different (=better) that one without...guess what? They are absolutely right. BTW, I experienced to difference running the stang while in no-tune mode.
thats pretty cool, so you have a choice to switch it from the tune to the non tune setting?
Old 05-31-2009, 01:43 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Exactly. Like I stated above, the Granatelli CAI comes with its own MAF sensor which you need to use in order to run their "no tune" option. However, in order to run the "tune" option I have to switch out MAF sensors. I have to remove the Granatelli provide MAF and replace with the stock MAF. Only after the stock MAF is on the CAI can I load the SCT X3 tunes. The whole process takes me 10 mins or so....piece of cake. Granted, I have not gone "no tune" in months now...
Old 05-31-2009, 11:14 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

CAI's are worthless without a tune. Most of the power you get from a CAI tune package is from the tune itself.

IE, you can put on tune on an otherwise stock stang and it will be a lot better than a stock ECU stang with a CAI.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:21 PM
TypeS
2nd Gear Member

Some advertise that there is no tune required. I'm pretty sure airaid ( http://www.brenspeed.com/450172.html ) doesn't require one and has some sort of removable insert for running with or without a tune, but in my opinion the tune is 100% worth it even if you continue running on 87 octane.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:26 AM
n1stang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TypeS
Some advertise that there is no tune required. I'm pretty sure airaid ( http://www.brenspeed.com/450172.html ) doesn't require one and has some sort of removable insert for running with or without a tune, but in my opinion the tune is 100% worth it even if you continue running on 87 octane.
The cai i have seen all say tune is needed and after must run on 91 octane, are there any tunes that will let you run on 87?
Old 06-01-2009, 05:48 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by n1stang
The cai i have seen all say tune is needed and after must run on 91 octane, are there any tunes that will let you run on 87?
The CAI does not dictate what octane you run, the tune does.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:58 AM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

Buck up and get a cai/and tune you won't regret it, and yes you can get a tune in any octane you want.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:05 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Dont buy a CAI if it doesn't require a tune.
When your purchase a tuner you will choose the tunes your want and they will come preloaded in the tuner... then its simply plug 'n' play.
There are many different tunes out there. ie. 87 Octane Economy Tune, 91, 93, etc.. So you CAN use different octanes with whatever tune you choose. But, for example, dont ever load a 93 race tune on and put 87 octane in it. If you come to a place and you must get gas and they dont sell the octane you need you can always (if you have your tuner on you) reflash the tune to something else they do have.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake C.A.I