Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Contemplating Meziere elec. waterpump, best HP bang for buck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 12:39 PM
TorchedGT
1st Gear Member

Default Contemplating Meziere elec. waterpump, best HP bang for buck?

So I'm at that point where I've done the basics - JLT CAI, mail order 93 tune, underdrive pulleys, etc. Seems like from here on out, things get WAY more expensive with (sometimes) negligible power gains (cams.. consistently losing torque, mucho $$$, require long tubes which = even more $$ plus PITA install on both.)

I was thinking about going down the parasitic loss road again. Meziere claims 11WHP gains with the modular V8 pump of theirs.. however I'd have to assume that an additional 10 amp load on the alternator (combined with my Shaker 1000 and already underdriven alternator) can't be a very good idea?

At $350 (and $0 for install since I could do it at my shop on the weekend without messing with anything too wild, unlike cams/headers) this would seem like a great bang-for-buck mod.

If I did this, I'd design a little indicator panel with LEDs to show status of fan (hi/low speeds) and possibly current draw / status of elec. waterpump and relay. Might get an Interceptor gauge and set it to water temp with a warning for ANYTHING over 200 degrees.

That's another question - I'm using my SCT X3 in datalogging mode to monitor water temps with the underdrive pulleys (since it's normal to hit 100 degrees with high humidity, plus consistent stop and go traffic here in VA.) It'll stay at 192 initially then climb to 196 and stay there, no matter what I do. Is this pretty much perfect OEM thermostat performance? I'm surprised how well it works with the underdriven waterpump!

Thanks guys!
Old 06-01-2009, 12:14 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

If I were running underdrive pullies already, I'd look elsewhere for the power. That's a decent amount of extra load on your alternator.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:46 AM
TorchedGT
1st Gear Member

Yeah I guess you're right.. figure 25% UDPs automatically negate 25% of any benefit for switching to an electric water pump.

That sucks, I'm at a dead end sorta.

Well I want to get a basic bolt-on dyno run at a show in a couple weeks (portable dyno) and I've only had the car for a little while.. all my friends are going to be staring at me waiting for the numbers haha.

I'm TRYING to break 300whp - I'll just throw in some redline ATF (been putting this off for a while) clean the air filter, and load the 93 track tune.. and cross my fingers
Old 06-01-2009, 02:50 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

slick ride.

(-:
Old 06-01-2009, 04:53 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

how about gears? or aN O/R x pipe?
Old 06-01-2009, 05:25 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I'd imagine you'd be near 300rwhp with your mods on a 93 octane tune. It's easier to reach on these cars than most people think.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:29 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TorchedGT
So I'm at that point where I've done the basics - JLT CAI, mail order 93 tune, underdrive pulleys, etc. Seems like from here on out, things get WAY more expensive with (sometimes) negligible power gains (cams.. consistently losing torque, mucho $$$, require long tubes which = even more $$ plus PITA install on both.)

I was thinking about going down the parasitic loss road again. Meziere claims 11WHP gains with the modular V8 pump of theirs.. however I'd have to assume that an additional 10 amp load on the alternator (combined with my Shaker 1000 and already underdriven alternator) can't be a very good idea?

At $350 (and $0 for install since I could do it at my shop on the weekend without messing with anything too wild, unlike cams/headers) this would seem like a great bang-for-buck mod.

If I did this, I'd design a little indicator panel with LEDs to show status of fan (hi/low speeds) and possibly current draw / status of elec. waterpump and relay. Might get an Interceptor gauge and set it to water temp with a warning for ANYTHING over 200 degrees.

That's another question - I'm using my SCT X3 in datalogging mode to monitor water temps with the underdrive pulleys (since it's normal to hit 100 degrees with high humidity, plus consistent stop and go traffic here in VA.) It'll stay at 192 initially then climb to 196 and stay there, no matter what I do. Is this pretty much perfect OEM thermostat performance? I'm surprised how well it works with the underdriven waterpump!

Thanks guys!
Hey there Torched, a gorgeous looking car you have there...!!!
Well, I think it all depends how you define "Basics". It seems you still have a little more to go in
your signature (LOL) ....i.e. gears, delete plates, 1 piece aluminum DS, shifter, etc. Have Fun...!!!!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:30 AM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

The electric water pump is a good mod whether it gives you any h.p. gain or not. It's nice to have if you go to the track any, helping with cooling between runs. Aluminum driveshaft and gears would be a really good mod in addition to the ewp. The ewp works well with a S/C in case you decide to go their someday. It's good that your not putting headers on, it's definetly good money you could put toward a power adder.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:42 PM
cmdr_anomic

Originally Posted by phatphil
The electric water pump is a good mod whether it gives you any h.p. gain or not. It's nice to have if you go to the track any, helping with cooling between runs.
someone should measure that gain. make a dyno run, then a second 5 minutes later with the stock pump.

then install the electric make a run, let the pump run for some of the 5 minute turn-around, then a second run.

sounds like 10hp for the base-run differences.

how much h.p is running the water for a few minutes during the turn-around?