Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

turbo or supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 06:24 AM
CPT_DICK2112

Default turbo or supercharger

what is better a supercharger or twin turbo
Old 06-04-2009, 06:38 AM
dagamore
2nd Gear Member

both, and NOS the big bottles, two of them, and you need them tonight right?

depends on what you are looking for, with a supercharger, you have more even power, with twin turbos (same size) you might run in to lag issues, but twin turbos (one small and one big) you should not have lag but will have less power on the top end.

but i could be all sorts of wrong.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:46 AM
MadMike1337
2nd Gear Member

twin turbo if you have $10,000 along with some over night parts from japan, it would desimate all. haha it all depends on what your looking for. search around you should find your answers. various people here have turbos they should chime in...
Old 06-04-2009, 08:40 AM
jagass
1st Gear Member

Both man...lol
Old 06-04-2009, 02:58 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

From what I've seen, superchargers are a little easier to deal with than turbos, but you can make a ton of power with both. Problem will be if you start to break stuff with too much power (most likely a twin turbo set-up would do that depending on just how much boost you plan to push).
Old 06-04-2009, 03:40 PM
BRENSPEED
Former Sponsor

If you have some questions you would like answered, call me I am I my desk and can guide you in the right direction.

(574) 594-9559 ext 102
Old 06-04-2009, 04:33 PM
bobby1110
3rd Gear Member

check out my post on new #'s on hellion 62-1 turbo kit it has pics and video. there is no lag on the streets. trq will always be higher then a supercharger at the same rpm. and with the right turbo power will be a little higher also. read mine and see what you think then if you have ?'s just pm me
Old 06-05-2009, 02:05 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

There are people on both sides of the fence that will swear that only one option is better, but the truth is they both have their attributes and drawbacks. I've found that superchargers are easier to custom tune, but turbos are less parasitic. Turning the pulley on a blower uses more HP than you lose in the form of backpressure with a turbo. It all depends on what you want to do with the car. I wouldn't trade my whipple for any other setup, but that's just me.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:08 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

really depends on your goals and desires. IMHO a TT set up will make more power with less stress on the motor then a blower. they do generally cost more, Crager has a very nice set up @$8500, compared to a cooled S/C that would top out in the 6500-7000 range
Old 06-05-2009, 10:03 AM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

How do you want to drive it? I have had both. For a brief time I had the STS twins on my Mustang (I don't recommend STS) and I have a roots style blower on my other car. Based on my experience:

Turbos will offer more power for a given boost, but tend to be peaky. They come on hard and fast and there is definately a big fun factor to a turbo setup. However, IMO they are probably better suited to track duty than street/daily driver. The power is there when you mash it, but in my experience it's either full boost or vaccum, driving under partial boost it difficult. Despite what anyone tells you ALL TURBOS HAVE TURBO LAG! You cannot break the laws of physics. Turbo lag can be minimized through proper sizing and placement, but it cannot be eliminated. A good turbo setup will make your car play nice until it's time to get nasty......then it will get nasty in hurry.

Positive displacement superchargers offer a more linear power at any RPM. There is no lag, power is right now all the time. For a daily driver you can cruize at a steady rate up a long incline and see the boost gauge go into positive pressure without maxing out, and you would never feel any difference, where a turbo will sit right at 0psi until you increase the RPMs enough to get it spooled. A PDSC is almost like adding cubes to your engine. It doesn't run quite as efficiently as a properly setup turbo, but that's the trade off you have to be willing to make.

I can't comment much on centri superchargers because I have no experience with them, but IMO they are a fair comprimise between a PDSC and a turbo. You trade the low end grunt of a PDSC for the top end HP of a turbo without the lag. Depending on where you get your information, centri's can be more efficient or less efficient than a PDSC.

On a stock block with stock internals, all three have the potential to grenade your engine at about the same HP/TQ level. IMO positive displacement is the best choice for a DD that you aren't going to build, and turbo or centri if you have plans on eventually going to real big HP or spend a lot of time at the track.

Quick Reply: turbo or supercharger