Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Got rejected! Need advice on intake.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 01:43 PM
SlinkyBMX
2nd Gear Member

Question Got rejected! Need advice on intake.

So I failed emissions. I have a C&L intake and a Brentspeed 93 tune. Do I have to put my stock intake back on and go to stock tune, or can I just go to stock tune and be ok with my C&L on? I heard the C&L let in too much air it needs a tune or a check engine light will come on or something. Good advertising if you ask me.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:08 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Either email Brenspeed and have them email you a tune with your rear 02s turned on, or return both the intake and tune to stock. DO NOT DRIVE with your C&L intake and stock tune. The diameter of the C&L pipe is larger than stock so if you run that intake with the stock tune, then the MAF sensor thinks that there is less air entering the engine than there really is. This leans your car out which is not healthy for your engine. It takes longer to load the tune than it does to swap the intake, so you might as well take the intake off as well.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:22 PM
executioner
1st Gear Member

If you still have your cats all you have to do is get an emissions tune that will turn your rear o2 sensors back on then drive it about 50 to 100 miles to let the computer reset everything. You can run the stock tune with the CAI just dont drive it hard go easy on it and it will be fine.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Welcome to the club.

Last year I put the original intake back on and flashed back to stock. This year I thought it was a safety only test, and instead of aborting they plastered a sticker on me.

Brenspeed e-mailed me the emissions friendly tune and I'm putting some miles on before I go back.

p.s. I tried running the stock tune with my Steeda intake and 2 miles down the road the engine light went on.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:10 AM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

damn... how do they conduct emissions testing up in Mass.?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:17 AM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

There are way too many different views on this subject. I dont know what to believe anymore. Ok, so If you get a CAI/tuner combo from say, Brenspeed, and you don't request anything specific, then they will automaticly turn off your rear o2 sensors, correct ?
So if thats the case, then ok. My rear O2's are turned off right now. Recently I purchased a pypes off road H , and sent Brenspeed an Email stating that I live in NY and need a tune that turns the rear O2's off so I do not throw a CEL without cats. I can get an inspection done by someone who isn't "looking" for the cats, and as far as I thought, I would pass no problem as long as the CEL wasnt on

This morning I got a call from brenspeed asking if I wanted to keep my order or not because even with the tune with the rear O2's off, I would fail, because the inspection computer checks and needs to see the o2's reading properly. . .

So If this is the case, then why did my car pass a state inspection three weeks ago, with the intake/tune, with cats with the rear O2's turned off ???
Old 06-29-2009, 10:07 AM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

Crap like this makes me happy to live in kentucky. If we had emissions testing, half of these rednecks 1982 chevy pickups would be off the road.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:22 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

Im with 06stangGT, I havent gotten any notice from Brenspeed, but I dont have cats and have the o2 sensors off, and I passed emissions in MD probably about three or four weeks ago... is it just that MD isnt as strict with the rules?
Old 06-29-2009, 02:02 PM
executioner
1st Gear Member

I think in Texas you are allowed 1 not ready,fail on a 95 and older car and can still pass emissions. If the inspection computer shows 2 or more not readys etc then you will fail. On new cars you are not allowed any. Maybe in your state you are allowed 1.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Darren05
1st Gear Member

It is my understanding that Brenspeed only turns off the rear o2's if you have an off road pipe. I could be wrong though.

Quick Reply: Got rejected! Need advice on intake.