Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

The sweat has now subsided!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Default The sweat has now subsided!

Welp finally did the sparkplug change. 42k mi.

Was going to do it myself but after feeling how tight the first plug was I decided to let the dealer do it.

Took it yesterday. They called close to closing time. One plug came out easy, the next was a little tight with creaking sounds, the others were TIGHT an they had not removed them yet. Told me they were gonna let the anti seize sit over night and see if that helped.

Talk about nervous....They did not call me till 10am today and I was just waiting for them to tell me some had broken.
But alas they called and got them all out successfully without a break!
Said they were tough but got em!

$250 bucks for service but I figure that is better than breaking some and paying $600-$800.

Oh yeah... I also had them put in the Champion one piece so the total expense was actually about $350.00, but like I said before... better that than the negative outcome if I broke them myself.

The peace of mind is worth that $350.00 alone to me.

Now I just wish those a-holes would have replaced my seats under warranty like they SHOULD have when I told them about the red dye coming off when I clean them.
They said it was either from the product I was using or the pressure I was applying.
The other day I used WATER and a rag and the same thing happened.
Took it to the dealer and they said... wait this is not normal. But now my warranty is out so they said they could not help me.

I called Ford's customer service number, also sent email. Told them it was wrong to deny legit warranty work and then after warranty was out say "wait it is warranty work".
Long shot but worth a try. Hell... I doubt the service manager that looked at the seats when it was warrantied even documented it. That or he probably is gonna lie about the whole thing.
I could be shat out of look as far as that goes.
If so I'll wait till they get really bad and then replace the leather seats with aftermarket.

*Edit* Oops wrong mi. just noticed I had about 36.6k mi.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 07-13-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Congrats brother. Another 3V owner that will sleep better!
Old 07-12-2009, 12:59 AM
Cloewe06

Default Breathe easy

Great to hear my car just went over warranty 36k. This is something I'm going to tackle I was going to let my dealer do it but they still haven't fixed the lights on radio. Even though I keep telling them that if they reflash the shaker will light up.
I too had the bleeding seats. Had to take it to two different dealers. Hard to have them fix them. One said it was my pants another the cleaner i used. Finally someone listened and sent it to a detailer for a fix but its only a temporary one and its still starting again.

I admit I love the Mustang but wonder if I can put up with the dealer service after the sale. Will see when the 2011 engine comes out.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:45 AM
Tylus0

hold it...do you mean to tell me that the 4.6 3v has a damn plug breaking issue just like the 5.4 3v does?

seriously?

Damn it. I thought I had gotten away from that problem
Old 07-13-2009, 04:43 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus0
hold it...do you mean to tell me that the 4.6 3v has a damn plug breaking issue just like the 5.4 3v does?

seriously?

Damn it. I thought I had gotten away from that problem
Its the exact same heads on the 4.6/5.4 3V so the only difference is the operating conditions. Trucks heavier weight combined with towing tend to increase carbon buildup leading to more issues.

Ford went to a new head design (takes a different style plug) beginning with the 2008 so you should not have an issue on either of the two vehicles in your signature.

PS On my 2007 I just pull the plugs once a year and clean and retreat with antiseize to avoid carbon buildup.

Last edited by Gene K; 07-13-2009 at 04:49 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:53 AM
KcMstang
2nd Gear Member

Alright your freakin` me out...got an '05 that just turned 49k!
Old 07-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Mayberry40
2nd Gear Member

My time to sweat will come.......Im NOT looking forward to it !!!! Thank You FORD
Old 07-13-2009, 07:25 PM
birdoffire7
2nd Gear Member

+1. When my time comes for this service, I've already decided I'm taking the same exact route you did. Kills me that it will be the first plug change on one of my cars that I personally did not do in over a decade, though!
Old 07-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Tylus0

Originally Posted by Gene K
Its the exact same heads on the 4.6/5.4 3V so the only difference is the operating conditions. Trucks heavier weight combined with towing tend to increase carbon buildup leading to more issues.

Ford went to a new head design (takes a different style plug) beginning with the 2008 so you should not have an issue on either of the two vehicles in your signature.

PS On my 2007 I just pull the plugs once a year and clean and retreat with antiseize to avoid carbon buildup.
okay...I knew about the head change on the 5.4...my Expy has the newer head luckily

but yeah, had no idea the 4.6 3v was screwed with that setup as well...glad to hear my Stang isn't affected either.

thanks alot
Old 07-13-2009, 08:18 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Hmm...I had heard that the early 2008s still have the old head and 2-piece plugs. Mine's an early 08; I haven't checked yet (not sure how to tell actually :\) but with my luck I assumed I had the crappy head...

Quick Reply: The sweat has now subsided!