Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Opinions on catted X-pipes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Esch
1st Gear Member

Default Opinions on catted X-pipes...

I plan on upgrading my exhaust in the near future with the Roush Extreme cat-back system (very similar to the Pypes mid-muffler system). I definitely want to go with a catted X-pipe as I prefer that type of sound, I just can't decide which one to go with.

I originally thought of going with the Bassani pipe, but it's a bit pricey and after doing some research, it sounds like I'd wind up having everything welded which defeats the purpose of being able to swap the off-road tubes it comes with. I'm also considering the Magnaflow catted X as well as the Pypes unit. I've heard of some people having issues with the Pypes cats before, and also issues with the fit. The Magnaflow seems like a nice unit and gets good reviews, but I've seen people say it can mellow out the sound.

So between the Bassani, Magnaflow, and Pypes, which do you prefer? I plan on keeping the stock headers, so I'd like to go with the pipe that offers the best/loudest sound (if the cats on each pipe make a difference in that). Thanks for any input.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:53 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

The magnaflows deepen the sound. Its not a noisy sound but very clean and nice rumble. Its also heck of a lot lighter than factory so some weight savings there too.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:32 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

ESCH, make sure you hear as many exhausts as you can before you commit, I mean hear them in person! I listened to hundreds of videos on youtube before I bought mine, and I gotta say, videos don't do any justice to real world audio.
There's gotta be a few forum members or maybe a mustang club or two in your area, see if you can't meet up and have a listen to their cars.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:24 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I have had a Bassani catted x-pipe for stock manifolds and for longtube headers - they do not have to be welded.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

I have the magnaflow catted X and it's a good piece what I like about it is it keeps the cats in the stock location opposed to many that have them down stream, this keeps them more protected from speed bumps and such.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:48 PM
shane.stockard
2nd Gear Member

I have the pypes catted x-pipe and not to long ago I had to replace the pypes cats. I now have magnaflow cats and there was a little change to the sound but not much. I also have the pypes mid-muffler....
Old 07-13-2009, 07:49 PM
06RFSTANG
2nd Gear Member

I have the Magnaflow catted X.Very happy with it
Old 07-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Vectorpat
2nd Gear Member

I am running the BBK Catted Xpipe. No welding needed. I also listened to hundreds of videos but like stated above they all sound different in real life.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:28 PM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

If youre looking for the best quality, id go with magnaflow!they seem to have the quality, fit and finish down solid! but ive heard that even the magnaflow is now coming in sections instead of a one-piece design...and that means using clamps, which in my experience usually end up having leaks.. etc. i wouldnt stray away from having to have some welding done. welding the pipes up is the surest bet there is for a good solid hassle-free fit.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Esch
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by shane.stockard
I have the pypes catted x-pipe and not to long ago I had to replace the pypes cats. I now have magnaflow cats and there was a little change to the sound but not much. I also have the pypes mid-muffler....
In what way did the sound change?

Thanks for the replies... and I realize that hearing cars in person is the best way to decide, but unfortunately the odds of finding a car with the exact (or even very similar) setup are very slim.

Quick Reply: Opinions on catted X-pipes...