Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

4.6L 3v bottom end strength with supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:47 PM
70torino429
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
The whipple has Ford Racing's name on it so you can count on it being good if Ford is behind it. Everyone loves it and it has a lot of potential for more in the future if you ever want to go that route.

If I were to get a s/c'er, I'd get either Whipple or Edelbrock E-Force. I really like how the E-Force does not whine. Whine is ok, but to me I'd rather not have it so I can hear the exhaust more. Most tend to like the whine a lot. I'm one of the exceptions.
I did see the edelbrock, and im indifferent, the whine dont bother me, but no whine does have a bit of stealthiness to it.

Originally Posted by Doogie65
The Edelbrock is definitely a good choice if "stealth" and quiet is to your liking
I see you have the edelbrock lol. Have you installed it? how user friendly is it?
Old 07-15-2009, 02:45 PM
dolint95
1st Gear Member

my car makes 519 at the wheels...no problems what so ever. It's all in the tune. If you have a good tune you can really make some sick power safely.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:37 PM
rockgt302
2nd Gear Member

After reading some of the comments here, I wonder if something is wrong with my SC. It doesnt have much whine at all.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 70torino429
I did see the edelbrock, and im indifferent, the whine dont bother me, but no whine does have a bit of stealthiness to it.

I see you have the edelbrock lol. Have you installed it? how user friendly is it?

Yes, I installed my E-force and the install was very straight forward. Most of it was merely mechanical stuff and about the most tedious aspect was repinning several connectors. With some help, I could have easily done this in a long day... but aside from sitting the supercharger in place, I did the rest by myself.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:01 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I'm running nearly 500rwhp... *Edit since this thread was brought back from the dead on 7-23-12, I'm still kicking on stock internals with 13psi, hundreds of track passes and tons of abuse. 500rwhp was passed a long time ago...

Last edited by Diabolical!; 07-23-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:39 AM
70torino429
1st Gear Member

Yes, I installed my E-force and the install was very straight forward. Most of it was merely mechanical stuff and about the most tedious aspect was repinning several connectors. With some help, I could have easily done this in a long day... but aside from sitting the supercharger in place, I did the rest by myself.
did you get a custom dyno tune? im confused as to whether or not ill need one.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

The base kit comes with a canned tune that will get you ~400RWHP and I know of several who are running it without issue. Mine was custom dyno tuned, which is why it is putting out a bit more power than most of the other base kits. But I am still running through the stock airbox along with using the stock fuel pump.

There is still a lot left in mine (even with the stock airbox), but I opted to keep it conservative and safe... at least for now
Old 08-09-2009, 12:32 PM
GeritGoul
3rd Gear Member

The base kit comes with a canned tune that will get you ~400RWHP and I know of several who are running it without issue. Mine was custom dyno tuned, which is why it is putting out a bit more power than most of the other base kits. But I am still running through the stock airbox along with using the stock fuel pump.

There is still a lot left in mine (even with the stock airbox), but I opted to keep it conservative and safe... at least for now
wait..so your set up doesnt put any strain on your fuel pump?
Old 08-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GeritGoul
wait..so your set up doesnt put any strain on your fuel pump?

Although we did not data log it, the AFs stayed very flat at ~11.6 throughout the run, so it is fine for now. The general rule of thumb is ~450RWHP safely with the stock fuel pump. So before I push mine any harder, a GT500 fuel pump will be going in... but by then, I will probably get the bottom end forged as well.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:33 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

The bottom end is good to about 630 hp at the rods.. with parasitic power losses, that means about 600 at the crank with a twin screw, about 620 at the crank with a turbo, or about 560 at the crank with a roots style (a little better with a TVS roots, like E-Force). Any more than that and you are pushing it. With a good tune and staying in those parameters, I have never heard of anyone blowing the stock bottom end. Figure 15% drivetrain loss from the crank to the wheels, so with a twin screw (Kenne Bell, Whipple, Saleen, Techco) you can easily do over 500 rwhp on the factory motor, provided you keep the WOT AF under boost down around 11.8 or less. With a Maggie, you will be 30-40 hp less on the limit because they are very inefficient. Very few people run the maggie on these cars. The Roush 2300 and Edelbrock E-Force use the TVS roots rotors from Eaton, and they are a little more efficient, although still not quite as efficient as the twin screw. The E-Force uses some nice design to help efficiency, which gets it's potential on a stock motor right up there with the others. However, roots style will be limited to lower boost, so if you do intend to ever build an engine, you will restrict yourself with the E-Force, and especially with the Maggie. You can do around 550 rwhp with a turbo on the stock bottom end because you aren't using so much power to drive the compressor like you do on a supercharger. The Centris are nice too, drive more like a turbo but are much more simple in terms of design and installation, cost way less, are slightly less efficient than a twin screw in terms of parasitic power loss, and have more potential than the roots style.

There are a lot of superchargers to choose from, but first you need to determine your needs, your budget, and the target power both now and in the future. If you want quiet with moderate power, go E-Force. If you want insanely loud with tons of power and money is no object, go Techco. If you want in between, go Kenne Bell or Whipple. If you want cheap, go Vortech non-intercooled. If you want to build an engine and do 18 psi boost, go Kenne Bell or Techco. Finally, if you want a barely streetable, 800 rwhp monster that costs more than the car did to start, go with a big turbo setup. There are dozens of choices, mostly good, but you need to determine all the other stuff first.

Quick Reply: 4.6L 3v bottom end strength with supercharger?