Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

exhaust popping/backfire

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 12:41 AM
pqtiii

Default exhaust popping/backfire

Having issues with popping sound in exhaust. It will back fire sometimes when you rev it up and let off gas. I check plugs and they look good. Had friend put rags over tailpipes and I checked for leaks and there were no major leaks. I thought that my offroad pipe might be doing it, but I replaced it with stock pipe with cats and it still does it. What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

Stock motor with larger injectors for TT. This happens when the car is not under boost...

Old 07-26-2009, 08:04 PM
mestengo
1st Gear Member

Has the popping been there since the installation of the turbo or did it start later? Most mustangs even with the stock exhaust will pop when you depress the clutch and let your foot of the gas when the car is cold. Other than that you may need to check your air/fuel ratio.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:19 PM
pqtiii

It's like a stumble lunge forward/miss thing. I had off-road hipe pipe on and was having trouble with low end power. Just put the cats back on and it is still there. No sure what the tune does for low end non boost rpms. I checked the plugs and they were all good. The 02 sensors and timing is jumping alot at idle. Sensors only had 940 org miles and are given ready. It acts like it is constantly trying to adjust. It is driving me nuts.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:41 AM
mestengo
1st Gear Member

It sounds like you are having more issues than just popping. Who did the work on your car? You may want to take it back. What does the car use to increase fuel under boost? If it uses some type of BAP or FMU device then maybe one of these is faulty. You may also have a leak on the turbo plumbing somewhere. The air meter is seeing something at the inlet and the appropriate fuel is being delivered but if there is a leak somewhere a rich condition will occur. The extra fuel plus the higher exhaust temps seen in a turbocharged car will result in backfiring.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:13 PM
jreask

I have a Bullitt CAI and Brenspeed tune. My 09 GT seems to "pop" after I am on it and let off of the gas. It is hard to explain, it almost sounds like a backfire, but not so loud. Is this the air mixture and is it "normal"?

Anyone ?

JR
Old 07-28-2009, 11:04 PM
pqtiii

Checked error codes today: P0114 P0155 P0480

Is there a way to check and see if the 02 sensors are bad? The voltage readings are all over the place. Idle is surging up and down about 50 rpms and keep popping.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:14 PM
mestengo
1st Gear Member

jreask-normal
pqtiii- didnt you already change the o2 sensors once as per your first post?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:25 PM
pqtiii

Just took them off of the off road pipe and put them back on the stock cat pipe. They have 9900 miles on them.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:48 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

When you had the O/R H-pipe did you leave the O2 sensors in? Were they shut off in the back? I am thinking that they are fouled and not reading the A/F ratio correctly. Just throwing that out there and thinking while typing. Let us know what happens and I would get it to a dyno or datalog the stang and get the info to an exp tuner!
Old 07-29-2009, 03:04 AM
abarker8541
3rd Gear Member

Off subject but OP what hood is that

Quick Reply: exhaust popping/backfire