Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone actually switch from 3.31's to 3.73's? Opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:53 PM
08droptop
2nd Gear Member

Default Anyone actually switch from 3.31's to 3.73's? Opinions!

I know everyone is going to say 4.10's. I wanna know if anyone has actually switched from 3.31's to 3.73's with a stick. I am planning on switching gears and don't wanna go ***** out. I just want to pick up a little quickness without going crazy. I will not be racing, but want it a little quicker. If you have switched to 3.73's, were you happy with them, that is what I want to know. How much difference did it make for you?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:31 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Very happy. Didn't want 4.10s for the driving I do.
FWIW, I went to 373s, then put in a different rear end with 331s, and really missed the 373s. So 373s are back in there now
Old 08-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I went 3.31 to 3.73 on mine, but also did an aluminum driveshaft at the same time. The change in gears is noticeable but it isn't crazy different or anything. Overall, I'd say its worthwhile, but I would have possibly gone 4.10s if I had to do it over. The driveshaft was VERY worth it IMO. The car no longer feels like its pulling a boat anchor and the entire driveline just feels "tight" if that makes sense. I got the driveshaft for $425 shipped from Shaftmasters.

Last edited by Mudflap; 08-06-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:11 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I went from 3.31s to 3.73s in my car. I couldnt tell that big of a difference initially, but they have had to redo it twice and I still have some weird vibrations. I think some of my bearings are failing and robbing me of power.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:42 AM
Vectorpat
2nd Gear Member

I went from 3.31 to 3.73s, Not a big change but it is noticable.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yeah if you're looking for a big change, the 3.31 -> 3.73 isn't it. I do think they are probably the best compromise if you think the 4.10s will be too much. I personally think the 4.10s would have been fine. I have had no issues with mine. They are the FRPP parts and are whisper quiet like stock. I did have the bearings replaced even though the car only had like 1500 miles on it. The shop came out and guaranteed me they would have whined if they used the existing ones after seeing them, so I sprung for the $75 or whatever it was...
Old 08-07-2009, 10:13 PM
08droptop
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. I am not going for a crazy fast difference, I just want some difference. I'm planning on CAI and tune at the same time, and I think I'll be satisfied with that.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
I went 3.31 to 3.73 on mine, but also did an aluminum driveshaft at the same time. The change in gears is noticeable but it isn't crazy different or anything. Overall, I'd say its worthwhile, but I would have possibly gone 4.10s if I had to do it over. The driveshaft was VERY worth it IMO. The car no longer feels like its pulling a boat anchor and the entire driveline just feels "tight" if that makes sense. I got the driveshaft for $425 shipped from Shaftmasters.
I apologize for the hijack OP, but I'm going to sneak a question in about the driveshaft.... Mudflap, did the addition of the DS get rid of the clunking in our driveline? Any track gains (if you run on a track)?
Old 08-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
I apologize for the hijack OP, but I'm going to sneak a question in about the driveshaft.... Mudflap, did the addition of the DS get rid of the clunking in our driveline? Any track gains (if you run on a track)?
I don't run at the track, but I've heard it should make a difference. The drivetrain has no slack anymore. It feels connected and extremely "tight". Also, the car feels lighter in a sense. I would highly recommend the DS mod...
Old 08-08-2009, 11:12 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

He he, boy I wish I never saw this thread! First off, let me say the jump (more like a hop) from 3.31 to 3.73 is minimal. I might feel a slight difference in SOTP performance, but when I first got it done, I couldn't wait to pick it up from the shop, and then when I got in and drove, I was like "Huh!?! That's it??" I was a little dissapointed. I also donot notice any difference in gas consumptionon the highway, and it might be revving ever so slightly higheron the highway, but not by much at all. I hit the dragstrip once,maybe twice a year, so I didn't want to go 4.10's.

But I will say this: This mod has pissed me off somuch I wish to God I had never done it! The first installer did a horrible job, I had (have) a nasty gear whine (sounds more like a howling noise) from 60 to 40 mph on coast. He would not re do the job tofix the noise, said it happens alot with S197's for some reason. OK, that install was 500 bucks,gearset,fluids labor. So next, I brought the car to an acclaimed Ford dealer. They're SVT/Motorsport certified and a big FRPP rep. I had them look at the car, they said the gearset was shot. OK,new ring and pinion. Next, they did the install. Found I had a bad left axle, and my wheel bearings and seals were shot. They replaced all the wheel bearings, seals, cups, etc, and changed the pinion bearing out with the install, used the install kit, used the Ford special housing spreader tool, etc. I still had the whine. The axle was on backorder, so a week later I go back, get the axle put in, they re- did the gear install, and said the preload, backlash,and gearmesh pattern were good. I take the car, same noise, and now its louder! They said they are baffled as to what the problem is, because everything was done right. So now, I paid 800 bucks for this work, labor incl. some of the parts and the ring and pinion. They warrantied some of the other parts, or I' would've paid double. So now,I have the same noise, in fact its louder than ever, and I'm out $1,300 and I'm back to the drawing board. Most people are telling me,no matter what the others have said, its still a bad install. I've also heard other people, incl. the first installer say they've installed hundreds of gear sets on Fox's, and SN95's, etc never had one problem, but on the S197's the noise issue is a problem for some reason. BS? Once I get the cash saved,I am going for a third and FINAL installation of the gears at a reputable,nationally known shop. I like my car and all, but this is really making me regret the gear swap, the car sounds like a real POS! I'm disgusted. Please,make sure you choose carefully who is going todo your install!!! I personally, would never had done it (Never had any of this BS with my Vette! LOL) Good luck with whatever you do BTW Before anyone asks, both gearsets were FRPP ones. Argh!!!!!

Quick Reply: Anyone actually switch from 3.31's to 3.73's? Opinions!