Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New From AZ

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 05:39 PM
SKYVIEW

Smile New From AZ

Hi all,

Bought a 2007 Convertible GT California Special a few days ago, our first Mustang . Very low miles and really sweet.

First off we intend fitting a Cold air intake but have managed to be really confused already .
The choices and "opinions" confuse--------I guess because we don't know stuff like this to well.

If a cold air intake is fitted, some say you need to "Tune" using an electronic device pre programmed to your car info. to adjust the Fuel/air mix.

Others have said, nope,--just "plug and play".

So , having heard two conflicting opinions , which is the correct one ??.

Also, can't decide on whose product to buy,---the "real thing" from Ford Racing or one of the after market brands like Roush or k&n or ????

Otherwise, great reading here, don't know why we didn't buy a Mustang sooner. Retirement changes things a bit, ----get playful again .

Any advise on a Cold air intake would be appreciated. Also thinking of Supercharging it sometime in the future .

Thanks folks.

Skyview.

Last edited by SKYVIEW; 08-10-2009 at 05:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-10-2009, 10:17 PM
frdfrst
2nd Gear Member

welcome,i'm on west side of phoenix.fords and steeda are the same one.i kave the steeda&diablo tuner which you need with the intake.i also have the injen which no tune is needed.make sure whickever one you choose that you find out if it needs a tune.if your in the valley check with AMP PERFORMANCE and they can help.ask for mike or tom.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Congrats on the new Stang!

Regarding which intake to get, it really comes down to which one you like. They all pretty much perform the same. I went with the C&L simply because I like the cast metal look. About the tuning, you absolutely have to have your car tuned for an intake. These S197 Mustangs are very sensitive to air flow changes. As little as a 2% change in airflow can throw your cars computer into a safe mode, making it run like poop. This advice is coming straight from my tuners mouth. He has years of experience with this stuff. You have several options as to how to get your car tuned. You can go to www.Brenspeed.com or most any other site and have them mail you an intake accompanied by the handheld computer with the tune already on it. The best way and right way to do it (IMO) is to find a tuner in your area that has a dyno and specializes in mustangs. Call them and discuss your options. It ends up costing about the same and you will receive a custom tune for YOUR car, and not a generic mail ordered tune. Mail order tunes (like the Brenspeed tune) are fine and show a huge gain over stock, but you will get twice the gain from a good custom dyno tune. Hope this helps and whatever you do, absolutely do not install a intake on your S197 without tuning it for it first.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:04 PM
StangNinja
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the new stang and welcome to the mustang world.

I agree with whats been said above. Definitely get a CAI with a tune for all the reasons Stone629 said. I went with the Brenspeed CAI and tuner combo and absolutely love it. There are a lot of good threads if you search the forums on CAI info and opinions. A lot will point to Brenspeed and BamaChips as the best combos out there since the tunes are customized to your car and not sold as a one size fits all straight from the CAI manufacturer. Whatever you choose you'll be pleasantly surprised how much more fun the stang is with the new combo.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:41 PM
SKYVIEW

Many thanks for the welcome and all the good advice.
Will be contacting AMP Performance tomorrow and from what I read on the web,
those Guys should be able to handle it.

As a side note : Things really have changed in Tuning an Engine---, Downloading, Flashing, etc etc. What ever happened to Screwdrivers, wrenches and grips !!.

Thanks again folks, Let you know how it turns out.

Skyview.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:43 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Those days are long gone my friend, lol!
Old 08-11-2009, 03:37 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Originally Posted by SKYVIEW
Many thanks for the welcome and all the good advice.
Will be contacting AMP Performance tomorrow and from what I read on the web,
those Guys should be able to handle it.

As a side note : Things really have changed in Tuning an Engine---, Downloading, Flashing, etc etc. What ever happened to Screwdrivers, wrenches and grips !!.

Thanks again folks, Let you know how it turns out.

Skyview.

Welcome to the forums ! Are you on the West or East side? We are located out on the West side, so if I can help, let me know.

You are right, But I still have those cars come in every once in while! Sometimes I feel it is easier tune the f.i. then a carbed car.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:56 PM
06 Redfire

You will love your Mustang even more once you get it tuned. You will not believe how much difference a GOOD tune makes. My set-up is a bit more complicated since I have twin turbos. Casey at HaneyMotorsport tuned it up and now it is perfect. I would definitely recommend him for a custom tune!
Old 08-21-2009, 06:02 AM
SKYVIEW

Smile

Getting back a little late here, but thanks Haneymotorsport.com, sure we'll be seeing you guys one of these days. We're in the East Valley.
We had the cold air intake fitted already at AMP, (Steeda was recommended).

Does indeed have a different feel. Bit like an Asthma patient AFTER using the Inhaler. Such a small Mod. but what a difference.

Loving the car more each Day.

I have two issues that need to be overcome : 1--

The front passenger Splash guard /Fender wheel liner (rear section), is not correctly attached at the lower rear , where it joins the Fender. Plastic rivets are there, but not interfacing with the part. Thought initially, a piece was missing from the wheel liner, but a new Liner, looks exactly the same.

Does anyone have a good source of High quality exploded views ?.
Drawings the Dealer showed me were next to useless. It's the GT California Special trim.

Other issue, is the Wife doesn't want us to use the car to much, and thinks we should get a cheap run around and keep her "new Baby" under wraps and coddled, -----so it will last longer !!!.

Oh well, we all have our problems, right ?.

Any guidance on exploded views would be appreciated though.

Thanks folks
Old 08-21-2009, 06:09 AM
SKYVIEW

Originally Posted by 06 Redfire
You will love your Mustang even more once you get it tuned. You will not believe how much difference a GOOD tune makes. My set-up is a bit more complicated since I have twin turbos. Casey at HaneyMotorsport tuned it up and now it is perfect. I would definitely recommend him for a custom tune!
Hi Redfire,

Twin Turbos, ---that must really get up and go. Out of curiosity, how much difference over stock vehicle does that make . For example, 0-60 mph time,

H.P and Torque .