Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Whipple Install Progess

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 06:19 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by loots06
Gen I or II, no matter! Its a Whipple that is all that matter's, Great Service, Great product, Great Reputation, Awesome power. Congrats...

If you really want know if its a Gen I, check the serial number. W3A's are Gen I's and still very capable of making 500 HP with no problem.

I agree and was trying to to give an example of what many (thanks Nine) Gen 1's look like considering I do have the W3A designation that is the best way to tell then.....I also agree that Over 500 RWHP is capable with a Gen 1 as I will definitely prove it (like many others have) when I get forged and up the boost!
Old 08-24-2009, 10:06 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Are you done yet!
Old 08-25-2009, 07:56 PM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

Nice!!! Way to go Vapour Trails, that polished whipple looks sweet.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uO_9jcpNI0

Here's my start up video. The last 10% of the install was a pain. The wiring looks so easy, and it is, but it takes more time that you think. I got bored doing it very fast. Getting the CAI was hard as well, the brand new silicone couplers are so stiff. Lastly, getting the hose clamp on the lower radiator hose off took 1.5 hours because it was turned at an angle that was inacessible from the top or bottom, finally I cut it off with a dremel, but I was seriously losing my temper.

I had an issue with the fuel rails leaking where the injector top meets the rail when I first pressurized the system. The injectors didn't want to "sit down" into the manifold and so when I torqued the fuel rail down it created a sharp angle between the rail and injectors and it wouldn't seal. On the drivers side I just reseated the rail and the leaking stopped. On the pass. side one or two kept leaking. Finally I pulled the bottom orings off my stock injectors which were thicker than the top orings on the new injectors and swapped them over and presto the leaking stopped. The problem was a combination of not initially lubricating the lower orings so they would seat in the manifold, and the arms on the fuel rails were not perfectly level (probably just production variance).

Next day on my first test drive I got a loud hissing. It was vacuum leak where the injector meets the manifold. One of those orings got chewed up from my repeated attempts to stop the leaking and had a piece missing. Replaced the oring and solved the problem, but not before breaking off on the fuel rail bolts in the manifold. Luckily it came out without incident.

I've driven the car about 100 miles so far and no further surprises, everything is smooth, no CELs. I definately need a new tune (coming next week). The throttle response with the whipple tune is crap, I'm used to Bama tunes. The car is definately faster, but it is harder for me to percieve than my passengers.

I have yet to install my SOS triple gauge pod and autometer cobalt gauges (fuel pressure, boost, wideband). Oh yeah I dropped my brand new boost gauge on the ground and broke it, so I'll be shelling out for a new one.

Overall I'm happy I made the decision to install it myself. I was offered a good price on installation by the ford dealer that sold me the kit, but I know they would not have been as prepared as I to change the cooling system over to 2007. I don't believe they knew what parts were necessary. Moreover, this allowed me to really know the system like the back on my hand. If I had to do it again I'm sure I would be finished hours sooner. At first it looks like a ton of parts, but if you take a step-by-step attitude you don't need to be a mechanic, and I know I'm a lousy one.

Last edited by Vapour Trails; 08-26-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:35 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Congrats on the install.doing the install your self yourself it give you an opportunity to really learn about your car and what your installing.