Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Newbie mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Hagwood
2nd Gear Member

Default Newbie mod questions

Hello all, this is my first post on the forum, though I have been lurking since purchasing my 06 GT about 3 weeks ago. I'm a 48 year old who grew up building and racing cars in the 70's, but had to get out of it when we started the family. My kids are all raised now, so it's time to play again. I have a C&L CAI and SCT Tuner on order from Bama, but I'm trying to plan out my future mods so I don't waste time and money on things I may not need later. My first thought was to stay NA and get 4.10 gears next, then a cam and maybe the new C&L intake, and then headers/exhaust. But now I'm thinking about just going with a blower, like the Roush and be done with it. I'm not planning on going to the track anymore, just want something to kick *** on the MOPARS and new Camaros out there on the street. I realize this is a matter of choice, but just looking for opinions from those who have been there and maybe wish they would have done things different from the start. It seems like the roush blower is a pretty good bang for the buck - especially if I install it myself. Thanks in advance for your suggestions, and may I add that I'm loving the Mustang !
Old 08-25-2009, 08:19 PM
2007VistaBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

If you get a Roush blower then you just wasted your money on the CAI and tuner. Anyway the real question is which way do you prefer? If you want a little oomff for the street then muscle will be best way, you're on the right track with tuner and CAI, compliment that with a set of long tube headers with cats, a set of NSR cams like Comps or FRPP Hot Rods, as for intake manifolds wait for the FRPP to come out and someone will do a comparison to see which manifold is better. As for gears..... leave those for last and I would lean toward 3.73's for street use, before you do gears I'ld look into chassis components like a CHE k member brace with torque limiters and a set of SpartaPerformance lower control arms for better traction and better power output to the ground.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:58 AM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

Roush is wicked $$$, get a Whipple or KB , much more potential for power for the $$$
Old 08-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Hagwood
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm curious why you say leave the gears for last. It seems that would be one of the best early mods since it should make quite an improvement in stoplight to stoplight, and are relatively inexpensive. I don't plan on much highway driving - I have other vehicles for that, so that's why I was leaning toward the 4.10's. I'm also thinking of doing the spark plug swap this weekend. I have 30,000 miles on it, and better do it now. Does anyone know if you can buy the remover tools from any auto parts store ? I hate to order one online first and maybe not even need it.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:16 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

i agree with doing the gears early, atleast thats what i did. i would go with 4.10's for N/A which is what i wish i would have done instead of the 3.73's. 3.73's for F/I as your 1st gear gets closer to being obsolete.

as far as the blower is concerned, i like your idea with the roush; as long as you are talking about the new TVS 2300 Roush blower. the first one sucked. that new roush as well as the edelbrock are both great superchargers. expensive yes, but you usually get what you pay for in automotive aftermarkets. Not knocking you whipple and KB people out there. i like those also, i just really like the potential and build of the new roush and edelbrock.

longtubes are a great N/A compliment as well. another mod i would do early.

i would probably wait on the cams until you decide on N/A or F/I because your choice of cams will change depending on that decision.

The new intake manifold is another i would wait to get till you get the blower. The output/dollar amount is not really worth it in my opinion on a N/A car, but supposedly does great things on F/I cars.

Last edited by mac10chap; 08-26-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:51 PM
06 Redfire

Hey good to see another 48 yr old guy here. I started just as you did. Bama chips SCT tunes C&L cai. Next I did the 3:73 gears. I was very happy with that set-up. Mine is my daily driver so mileage was a concern. I only lost 1 mpg! You will be amazed with the tunes. It is just crazy what they can do with the cars today. Now I have twins on it and it is a BLAST! Good luck on getting the gears installed properly. I had take mine back 3 times because it whined, and that was at the Ford Dlr! I hear a lot of guys complaining of a whine since having it done.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:00 AM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

I really think that gears need alot of work and finesse and most shops just can't handle it, wouldn't surprise me if the design of the rear end is causing the issue, after all I had to chop off 1/2" worth of tailpipe to get my axlebacks to fit right and exhaust is no where near complicated as gears, the driver's side tailpipe is like 1/2 inch longer than passenger side? WTF , also I have had battery, stereo, clutch packs, molding, and fuel sender units all replaced, its not the best engineered car in the world, hell what do you expect for 26K !!! lol

You take the good with the bad, these things are annoying but for little money you are usually the fastest car in traffic on your way to work each day, and thats fun !!!!

good luck ....
Old 09-02-2009, 05:53 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

from another 40+ owner......blower IMHO is the best bang for the buck, albeit a lot of bucks, mod for the money. The new Roush is a good unit so are the whipple and KB, and all will be very similar in their performance on the stock block (10psi or less). All will get you to the 450ish whp range and put a big grin on your face.

Gears are a good choice, 4,10s and a blower are not a problem if, 1) you can drive 2) run a good tire (DR is best to run) - since your in TX a DR will work year round for you 3) have a good suspension set up

If you do get the blower first - get some suspension upgrades as well, LCA and UCAs to help the rear plant itself with the added power.

you didnt waste your $ on the tuner, that can be used with the blower, just order it without a hand held.

Headers on a F/I car are a good addition and can pick up 30-40hp. they are pricy and a bit of a PITA to install as I understand it.

Hope this helps
Old 09-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Hagwood
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all of the input. I'm leaning toward staying NA, and doing the gears and headers next after I get my CAI/Tune (if I ever get it - Bama must be busy !). I'll see how that does for a while then look at cams, and maybe an intake. Anyone here from the Dallas area that knows a good shop, in case I don't want to try some of the mods on my own ?
Old 09-02-2009, 06:37 PM
edawgdesigns.com
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hagwood
Thanks for all of the input. I'm leaning toward staying NA, and doing the gears and headers next after I get my CAI/Tune (if I ever get it - Bama must be busy !). I'll see how that does for a while then look at cams, and maybe an intake. Anyone here from the Dallas area that knows a good shop, in case I don't want to try some of the mods on my own ?
Something to think about, right now car is NA, but I had SC on my last Stang. It takes fuel to create power so watch your gas gauge go down quick whenever you mash the pedal.

Quick Reply: Newbie mod questions