Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Is BamaChips still in business?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 12:23 PM
kentompkins
1st Gear Member

Red face Is BamaChips still in business?

I ordered a set of CMCV delete plates and two tunes from them back on August 18th. I got the plates real quick but no tunes yet.

Emailed Doug after two weeks and then again when three had gone by. No response. Called the phone number on the website during their "phone business" hours and it just rings. No voicemail. No answer.

I am REALLY not trying to be a &@#% but I just want to know if they emailed them and they got blocked as spam or something.

There was a rockin' sale for 33% off tunes so maybe they're slammed... which is cool. I can understand that.

But I'm not sure how long I can let it go with absolutely no response before I call Mastercard and file a claim of non-receipt.

Anybody hear from Doug and team lately?

Thanks.

Last edited by kentompkins; 09-10-2009 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Got name wrong.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:08 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I read yesterday a post saying someone finally got through and Doug told him they're about 100 emails behind. So I guess they're just over-loaded. This seems to have been getting a lot worse recently.

But your order has gone on far too long I think.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:22 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Guys, Bamachips is a TWO man shop, that's right it just Doug and Matt that's it. They are totaly swamp with work, I talked to Doug in person last night as he was dyno tuning my car and he told me that he got over 200+ email just that day and was only able to get to 100 of them due to the fact that the phone did not stop ringing all day.

So it's very hard for him to write tunes if he has to be on the phone all day long. This is what happens when a sale takes place and you only have a small staff. He knows this is hurting customer service and he is working on fixing that problem by getting more help but until that happens he is going to be back logged.

However, if you want the best automatic tune for you car its worth the wait....
Old 09-10-2009, 01:28 PM
kentompkins
1st Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
Guys, Bamachips is a TWO man shop, that's right it just Doug and Matt that's it. They are totaly swamp with work, I talked to Doug in person last night as he was dyno tuning my car and he told me that he got over 200+ email just that day and was only able to get to 100 of them due to the fact that the phone did not stop ringing all day.

So it's very hard for him to write tunes if he has to be on the phone all day long. This is what happens when a sale takes place and you only have a small staff. He knows this is hurting customer service and he is working on fixing that problem by getting more help but until that happens he is going to be back logged.

However, if you want the best automatic tune for you car its worth the wait....

I'll definitely wait. Don't get me wrong. I have a lot of faith in BamaTunes based on what I've read and heard and seen from others. Not trying to diss them in any way. They have a lot of respect and deserve every bit of it.

I guess they didn't realize what kind of response they'd get to a 33% off sale. I'm glad I ordered mine this time because who knows if they'd ever offer it again.

BamaTunes is a great tuner and I completely agree - totally worth waiting for.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:09 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I really like my bama tunes. But I recently got a new 93 brenspeed tune and it's a lot better than my first brenspeed tunes. As a matter of fact, it beats my bama tunes like crazy. This is one damn powerful tune. It even shifts much better then my bama tunes. Brenspeed has this auto thing down pretty damn good now. The shifts are firm, but not harsh (which the bama tunes are) and I no longer get a rear end clunk when downshifting like I do with the bama tunes. Now, I think some of that is me needing new rear end oil as it's past Ford's recommendation. But still. My Brenspeed tune is also just about as responsive and "touchy" as the Race tune. This was not the case a few years ago with my first bren tunes. They sure have refined them since then. I also actually have a little more power when in O/D now. I was quite surprised by that!

Anyway, that's kind of off topic but I'm very happy with my new brenspeed tune so I had to say it. I still like my bama race tune though. It is a fun tune.

I want to try Tillman's tunes now since I hear some great things about them.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Misbehavin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kenthompkins
Called the phone number on the website during their "phone business" hours and it just rings. No voicemail. No answer.
While I know it doesn't answer all of your concerns, the following statement is on their website.

NOTICE:
Due to our enormous amount of recent orders and email traffic we are closing our phone lines until Friday to catch up on both orders and emails. We are truly very far behind because we are on the phones from the second we arrive until we leave. Please bear with us and email us if you have any questions that require our immediate attention. We are working on orders and hope to have everything caught up by this Friday, Sept 09, and will open our phone lines back up then.

Thank you for your cooperation,
Douglas Studdard
Owner Bamachips.com
With that being said, it seems like I'm hearing more and more of these sort of posts lately. Possibly it's time for Bama to become more than a two-man shop?
Old 09-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

Maybe it's time that they stop taking new orders until they catch up on the old ones
Old 09-10-2009, 08:08 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Problem is, the more business he does, the bigger his pool of users is. These users ask for changes, updates, etc. His workload ramps up and up and up, it seems. His workforce does not.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:12 AM
BudgetPlan1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
I want to try Tillman's tunes now since I hear some great things about them.
Just rec'd their new 93 'All Out' tune. I have run Bama (93 Torque & 93 Race) and Brenspeed (93 Octane tune) tunes previously.

Have only had a chance to drive a limited amount w/ Tillmans but short term impression is this:

If I had someone put either the Bama TQ or Brenspeed 93 in w/o me knowing I wouldn't be able to tell the difference by merely driving. The bama 93 Race tune I could probably distinguish in comparison to Bama TQ or Brenspeed 93. If they put in the Tillman All Out, I would recognize it immediately. Throttle response on the low end is that much better and it pulls in a very linear manner all through the rpm band. Now, is it really faster/more powerful or does it just feel that way? I dunno if both, but it sure does *feel* as if it is.

That said, they are very backed up too. Took me 5 weeks to get the tunes e-mailed to me after ordering.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:53 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chris07GT
Maybe it's time that they stop taking new orders until they catch up on the old ones
+10. I managed to get my BamaChips CAI/tune "before they were famous" I guess, so I can't complain. I've even asked for the "emissions" tune and got it within 2 days if I remember correctly. In short, customer service was fantastic! I can't imagine how long it would take for that kind of service now.

It seems this company has a choice to make. They can either hire some help to keep up with demand, or as Chris07GT has said, limit the rate of new orders so that they can provide the same level of support that they are saying they will provide. Of course they could do nothing, I guess, but after a while I think that will hurt them...a lot.

When I chose to go with BamaChips, I can remember two of the several points that swayed me were price and Bama's policy on free re-tunes, regardless of whether or not the parts were purchased from them. Obviously the price point worked out as planned, however I bet if I needed a free re-tune due to a new part, I'd probably be waiting an exceedingly long time to get that part of service that was promised to me. Basically, if you are going to promise something as part of a sale, whether it be a delivery time promise or future updates, etc, then you have an obligation as a company to fulfill that promise. If you can't deliver, due to whatever reasons, then either stop promising it, or find a way to deliver it.

Am I saying I'll never do business with them again? Not at all. I've been super happy with them in the past, and will look to them again first for my tuning needs. However, if they are swamped when I need something, and I can't wait some unknown time, I may end up looking elsewhere, and paying for a new tune versus waiting to cash in on a free re-tune.

Quick Reply: Is BamaChips still in business?