Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

VERY pleased with VMP tuning + mini review of various tuners

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Acerbus
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up VERY pleased with VMP tuning + mini review of various tuners

I don't know if VMP Tuning is a sponsor here, and I'm too lazy to check, but these guys have earned my respect and appreciation.

I recently ordered a tune from VMP, as I got bored of Bamachips not answering my emails anymore. Despite some problems with the credit card company, the tune appeared in my inbox a week later. I also ordered a tune from Brenspeed, seeing as they were my first tuner, and I had some petty cash laying around.

The VMP 93oct tune is a LOT like the Bama race tune. Twitchy gas pedal, relentless pull, and awesome sound. I'd say the shift points are about 85% as hard as the bama tune (which is a good thing, bama's shifts were harsh).

But that's not all. I felt that the tune was a bit "shift happy", and I wanted something that didn't make my A/T car sound so "autoy". So I sent them an email asking them to extend the shift points a bit, like the Brenspeed tune. A few days later, I got my revised tune and now I couldn't be happier. The car runs AND sounds amazing. It feels strong even at cruising.

So now, my rundown on the tunes I've "collected" this far:

- BRENSPEED = First tune I've ever had. Above and beyond the factory tune. But it wasn't until I tried a Bama tune that I realized Bren leaves a LOT on the table in terms of what this car can do. Maybe to avoid legal problems if someones transmission suddenly falls off launching from a stoplight. Gas pedal behaves like stock, as in, revs take a while to raise up and then to come down. Tame low-end pull. The only thing I like about this tune now is the shift pattern. The car stays in the gears a bit longer, making it sound great and be ready to downshift at the tap of the gas. A great daily driver tune.

- BAMACHIPS = This tune blew my mind, the first time I started the car and gently pressed the gas pedal only to see the revs raise all the way to 4K and then come right back down. Incredibly strong low-end pull. It even makes the car sound different from the Brenspeed tune. This tune was the opposite spectrum of shifting as the Brenspeed tune. Short and early. I asked numerous times for Bama to change that, but he never answered. Great "Weekend toy" tune.

- VMP Tuning = After the adjustments I mentioned, this is like putting the Bren and Bama tunes in a blender, and serving with a "good gas milage" cherry on the top. Same low-end pull, powerful sound, and sensitive gas pedal as the Bama tune. Same shift pattern as the Brenspeed tune (as requested). Looks like a permanent tune on my car, until I add a blower.

Those of you having problems with Bamachips recent lack of customer support, I recommend you give these guys a try... before they also get swamped with switching customers.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:44 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Agree on VMP. I was very pleased with it.

I did feel like the throttle was touch down low, especially from a dead stop. But this was more personal preference than anything.

I've seen another guy or two that has had success with VMP's "remote dyno tune" or whatever they're calling it. They were remote-tuning some S/C'd cars based on SCT data logs.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:38 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

I like my vmp tune but there are plenty of guys on here who are not happy with vmp at all, same reasons why your not happy with doug, no reply to emails, bad customer service it seems brenspeed is the only tuner who has great customer service the others have great tunes but lack in the business savy department.....
Old 10-15-2009, 03:44 PM
wasvette
3rd Gear Member

My 2 cents...VMP isn't going to win any congeniality / customer service awards but Justin writes a good tune, period. I've had them all and his is just the best for me - linear power throughout the rpm range, great throttle response, no idle issues, etc. Also, he doesn't program it to rev up to like 2500 rpm when it's cold like bama. Again, a kinder, gentler Justin would be nice but I'd rather just have a decent tune at a good price.

As a note, this is the second tune I've had from him so he's consistent - the 1st had fewer mods.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:00 PM
Latz

Originally Posted by wasvette
My 2 cents...VMP isn't going to win any congeniality / customer service awards ........
Yes certainly have to agree here, nearly $2000 out of pocket thanks to Justin Starchey or whatever his name is. I've never dealt with such a person in my life and live quietly confident that he'll get what's coming to him someday.

My fiancee decides to buy me a present for my 2010 GT500, I send her a link for what I want from VMP (first time buying from them). Their system bugs out at the order page so she puts the order through again. Again, their system bugs out. She checks with her credit card company and she's been charged no less than twice for the same item. She calls VMP to get a refund, no answer, she emails them, no answer... eventually and after writing an email every day for over a week, he gets off his lazy behind and answers with a really rude email (wish I could share it on here...) basically saying he's a busy man blah blah and he hasn't got time to address errors by people. Well, let's be clear here... it was his vendors payment system that bugged out, not our fault! My fiancee obviously annoyed by this wrote a few emails back and forth and it was starting to get out of hand with his rudeness even though I ensured she wasn't being rude to him in hers.

To cut a long story short, I was a little upset with Justin for speaking to my future wife that way and I'm a big believer in customer service (lol I know... having read about this guy and heard him speak on YouTube videos I now realise the error of my ways - he has a number of issues stringing a sentence together..). Again, he was rude to me.. let's put it this way, I'm a pro weightlifter and was ready to jump on a plane and pound him into the ground or tear him limb from limb, that's how annoyed he had me and still has when I recount the story.

So now he won't give me the information I need to even use this kit on the Shelby as he should have done, the kit's useless and at $1500 that's a bitter pill to swallow, especially when my fiancee was trying to do something nice as a gift for me. Oh and to make it worse, because of the currency difference and because their system bugged out, she ended up with a conversion charge for BOTH transactions which was never refunded, bringing the total sting closer to $2k.

I've also got some friends here in Calgary who have told me similar stories of VMP (wish I'd have asked them first!) but I can't speak on their behalf.. if anyone is interested I can ask them to post on here regarding their experiences with VMP... I think you'll find their accounts quite alarming!

So be warned as your credit card won't cover car parts in Canada.... I wouldn't use VMP ever but that's just my opinion having a $2k hole in our finances thanks to them.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:51 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Brenspeed does a fantastic job with there customer service. Thats why Im a loyal customer. They have cut me a few deals on some parts. And have always answered my questions even if they didnt make as much money. I have heard a few bad reviews on the vendors mentioned in this thread but I guess that goes with all of them. Anyway glad to hear u like your new tunes
Old 02-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Hey look, it's my old account! Hi, Acerbus 1.0.

Funny that this tread has been brought back from the middle ages, because lately I've been thinking about switching my Paxton setup to a "blow-through" type using this MAF housing from VMP. I just wonder if VMP can tune for Detroit Rocker cams that I will be installing in a few weeks.

Although seeing some of you have had some bad experiences with VMP, I may reconsider. A lot could have changed since 2009...

Last edited by Acerbus 2.0; 02-15-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I no longer run Brent's tunes due to extensive mods that required my finding a local dyno tuner, but his company is customer service defined. I highly recommend him.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

I'm glad you had a good experience with VMP. Mine not so much. Justin took up to 2 or 3 weeks with me to get back with me after sending data logs, and some times not until after i called him. I am not slamming his tuning abilities, but his customer service. He never did fix the tune in my car, partially because i got sick of farting around waiting for him, and i ended up trailering it 350 miles each way to have someone who i felt after talking with several customers actually dyno tune it. If you can actually get your car to Justins dyno and have him tune it, by all means do it. Otherwise, find a tuner that you can trust and take it to them...... I'll pass on the e-mail tunes from now on.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Latz

Originally Posted by Acerbus 2.0
Although seeing some of you have had some bad experiences with VMP, I may reconsider. A lot could have changed since 2009...
Hehe, must be a sign or something but trust me, there's two of us (just on here... I know of a few others too) that have had recent terrible experiences so I think you're almost begging for a $2k hole in your pocket if you go that route after the warnings lol but hey, that's your choice and I'm not going to judge you either way!

Quick Reply: VERY pleased with VMP tuning + mini review of various tuners