Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Give some opinions on this turbo system

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:04 AM
yellowjohn1

Default Give some opinions on this turbo system

HP Performance Turbo Systems. I am looking at the Stage I system for $4495. It seems too good to be true for the price, do any of you have any experience with these systems? Looking at the list of what comes with the kit it sure seems like a good deal.....

Thanks for your input
Old 10-08-2009, 11:34 AM
yellowjohn1

this one also...
Turbonetics 550 hp kit for Mustang GT w/manual trans.
Only $4999 through Jegs.

www.jegs.com/i/turbonetics/880/15168/10002/-1
Old 10-08-2009, 12:05 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by yellowjohn1
this one also...
Turbonetics 550 hp kit for Mustang GT w/manual trans.
Only $4999 through Jegs.

www.jegs.com/i/turbonetics/880/15168/10002/-1
If I were to pick up a Mustang, that Turbonetics kit is what I'd be looking at, provided they have springs to drop the boost a little bit. I hear 8psi is kinda the max for a stock block right?
Old 10-08-2009, 01:44 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Will you be installing it yourself and do you have a local tuner that has experience with either of these kits or tuning turbo'd S197s?

Tuning a turbo setup takes a little more attention and finesse than a supercharger. I wouldn't leave my car in the hands of someone that wants to use it as a guinea pig for turbo tuning experience. I don't have much faith in the canned tunes that come with these kits, and I can tell you from first hand experience that tuning via e-mail and data logging is a colassal PITA.

If you are going to pay an experienced tuner to install and tune it, go with whatever setup he recommends and is familiar with. You will get the best overall combination of power and reliability.

If you want to install it yourself and settle for a canned e-mail tune, forget turbos, and go with a supercharger. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish when it comes to turbo setups.

Otherwise, I like the Turbonetics kit for no other reason than sex appeal.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:08 PM
yellowjohn1

I would likely drive all the way to brenspeed if I was to get a turbo system. Muscle mustang in St. Louis is a pretty reputable shop and I'm much closer to there but not sure if they have much experience with turbos. Also, can anyone tell me the difference between "tuner kits" and "systems" when your looking at pricing info?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:20 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Usually, the tuner kit is for the guy that wants to source things like the tuner, fuel injectors, fuel pump, etc. seperately, so those things get left out and the price goes down accordingly.

If you are going to Brenspeed anyway, why not just buy the Hellion through them?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Impulse Cars
Former Sponsor

Wink

Most of these companies short sell the kit and you end up paying $$$ more just to get the supporting parts. Check out this kit ;-)

http://the-perfect-exposure.blogspot...tang-gt-w.html

http://www.turbo-kits.com/mustang_turbo_kits.html (second one down)

http://www.impulsecars.com/impulsecars/home.php?cat=334

Now this is a turbo system. Two smaller turbos, NO lag, high mount, oil and water cooled OEM fit and finish. With ALL the supporting fuel mods and tuning included.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:58 PM
*facepalm*
Spaunen's Trial Membership

SC>turbo
Old 10-08-2009, 03:18 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Im back OT
SC>turbo
Since when?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Impulse Cars
Former Sponsor

SC > Turbos? Really? I had a Paxton Novi2200 on my car. I took off the blower and installed the Garrett twin turbos at the exact same boost level.... Not only did I see peak boost at only 2350rpm instead of 6600rpm but I picked up over 40 wheel horse and over 60 wheel torque just by removing the parasitic loss caused by the crank turning the blower. You can even call Vortect or Paxton and they'll tell you the same thing.

Twin Turbo FTW!

Quick Reply: Give some opinions on this turbo system