Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hot lapping with an auto

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:30 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Default Hot lapping with an auto

This is my first vehicle with an auto trans and I plan to race Saturday in its stock form. Will hot lapping cause any issues with the auto trans? I know heat soak will rob some power, I just dont want to overheat the trans and cause damage or something.

Other than running with traction control and overdrive off any other tips?

thanks patrick
Old 10-15-2009, 12:55 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I guess it depends on how hard you run it and how much powerbraking you are doing...

also, in Hawaii, it depends on the weather I'd imagine.

IMO the stock GT doesn't make enough power to really heat soak the tranny/engine. The stock tune is very "safe", now if you had a Bama Race tune or CAI, you may have to worry.. I know mine would heat up real quick on those tunes.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:31 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I would love to have a bama tune but bama doesnt seem answer their phones, so getting ahold of doug is near impossible.

This is my basline stock run. Next month will be with mods. Weather will be hot, 90's in the afternoon, maybe high 70's at night.

patrick
Old 10-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Casey4s
2nd Gear Member

Install a manual switch for the Hi Speed cooling fan to help get the temp down between runs. You then can run the fan wide open with the engine turned off while in the pits or staging lanes.

An electric WP is a nice touch in addition, but the switch only costs a few bucks to do it yourself.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:56 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Casey4s
Install a manual switch for the Hi Speed cooling fan to help get the temp down between runs. You then can run the fan wide open with the engine turned off while in the pits or staging lanes.

An electric WP is a nice touch in addition, but the switch only costs a few bucks to do it yourself.

A fan is a great idea but I have no time to do that by tomorrow. Good thing about Maui is the trade winds are usually blowing so cooling down the car happens quite fast.

patrick
Old 10-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Casey4s
2nd Gear Member

Well I guess tomorrow is sorta short notice to do any modifications. For the $10 to $12 in parts it's a good mod to do before next time.

Goos luck tomorrow...
Old 10-16-2009, 08:51 PM
nem
2nd Gear Member

I would suggest a trans catch can from JDM or make your own. Nothing like heating up the fluid and having it vent all over your rear tires. It will make for a fun ride
Old 10-17-2009, 02:30 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
I would love to have a bama tune but bama doesnt seem answer their phones, so getting ahold of doug is near impossible.

This is my basline stock run. Next month will be with mods. Weather will be hot, 90's in the afternoon, maybe high 70's at night.

patrick
lol I know how that goes.. I've had to wait for MONTHS to get a corrected tune, only to have the wrong octane tune.. doh!

I have since gone with brenspeed and it runs great. If you get a hold of an SCTx3 tuner, even without a CAI, the tune by itself will wake up the car nicely. The stock shift points are pretty timid compared to the race tunes.

With those temps though, wow.. I don't know what to tell ya lol. You may have to worry about heat soak after all. In Alaska, I don't remember a day it went over 70 at my track in the afternoon...

did you run her yet?
Old 10-17-2009, 01:01 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Not yet, this is the first time with this car. I cant imagine heat soak being a problem in Alaska ever! LOL I dont know how you handle the other 9 months of the year in the 49th state. Thats just way to cold for me.

patrick
Old 10-17-2009, 09:22 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Not yet, this is the first time with this car. I cant imagine heat soak being a problem in Alaska ever! LOL I dont know how you handle the other 9 months of the year in the 49th state. Thats just way to cold for me.

patrick

lol it's not the cold that gets to people.. it's the darkness. Dead of winter, it's like 18-19 hours of darkness. During the summer, it's the opposite.. 3 hours of night, though it's not even night.. it's like "evening", the rest it's bright as day out! lol

I used to get heat soak in my old car but it was turbo'd and a 5 speed.

At least you guys are at sea level, you can still get good times.

(-:

Quick Reply: Hot lapping with an auto