Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hey guys! Some exhaust & CAI Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Southern Stang 722
2nd Gear Member

Cool! What CAI did you end up going with, if you don't mind me asking? Your going to love the boom tubes BTW. They sound way better in person.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:16 PM
5TH

Wsup fellas,

I'm also doing my research on different CAIs out there. When I first started moding my Mustang GT (2006 4.6L/3V) I didn't mind aftermarket parts as far as exhaust, but I was always saying I wanna keep it Ford "under the hood" as far as anything directly Engine related. But I've read that the Ford CAI w/tuner isn't really the greatest and to really harness some great HP gains I need to go after market.

Now with that said I was lookin at getting the Ford Racing Bullitt CAI 85mm w/Cal tuner for a really good deal. (Also because i'm turning my car into the "Black Bullitt" lol pics will come soon). Now I also even found a better deal on the Ford Racing Cold CAI 90mm w/Cal tuner.

As far as aftermarket goes, the one CAI setup that i've been leaning towards is the Steeda Carbon Fiber elbow CAI w/SCT SF3 flash tuner.

Is there really much of a difference between the 85mm and 90mm? I'm still considered a newb at this stuff so any input would be great.

Thank you.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:25 PM
dragrace4fun80
1st Gear Member

In my local area, everyone I talk to swears by either JLT or C&L...I have the C&L Racer (95mm, 1030 cfm flow capability). As far as comparison, it would depend on tune...canned tune (already installed in tuner) vs. stock, or dyno tune, or what? Dyno tune would be the best, IMHO, but a canned tune is better than stock anyway.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

good choice on the boom tubes i have those on my car as well, you wont be disappointed
Old 12-11-2009, 05:16 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

For right now just pick some axlebacks (mufflers). Best bet is to listen to other S197 mustangs in person. You can also listen to sound clips on line such as Youtube. Brenspeed has some soundclips off a few different axlebacks.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:16 PM
rpietro
1st Gear Member

Hey there SSJ Stang, my 08 GT/CS has a Steeda CAI with tune and my exhaust is, hi-flo cats with Magnaflow X-pipes and MBRP axlebacks and even if I say so myself, WOW what a sound. Well worth the expense.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:22 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5TH
Wsup fellas,

I'm also doing my research on different CAIs out there. When I first started moding my Mustang GT (2006 4.6L/3V) I didn't mind aftermarket parts as far as exhaust, but I was always saying I wanna keep it Ford "under the hood" as far as anything directly Engine related. But I've read that the Ford CAI w/tuner isn't really the greatest and to really harness some great HP gains I need to go after market.

Now with that said I was lookin at getting the Ford Racing Bullitt CAI 85mm w/Cal tuner for a really good deal. (Also because i'm turning my car into the "Black Bullitt" lol pics will come soon). Now I also even found a better deal on the Ford Racing Cold CAI 90mm w/Cal tuner.

As far as aftermarket goes, the one CAI setup that i've been leaning towards is the Steeda Carbon Fiber elbow CAI w/SCT SF3 flash tuner.

Is there really much of a difference between the 85mm and 90mm? I'm still considered a newb at this stuff so any input would be great.

Thank you.
If you like the bullit unit get it but by all means do not f#ck around with some canned tune.....buy your stuff from a real tuner like brenspeed, bama, tillman or one of other few that we all respect here. If you purchase through AM for example you will be getting a creampie tune.....f#ck that, go for real stuff! I am burning rubber through three gears with an auto trans with my brenspeed tune. It took a half second off my 1320 time!! Got it?

patrick
Old 12-12-2009, 11:35 AM
5TH

Originally Posted by 808muscle
If you like the bullit unit get it but by all means do not f#ck around with some canned tune.....buy your stuff from a real tuner like brenspeed, bama, tillman or one of other few that we all respect here. If you purchase through AM for example you will be getting a creampie tune.....f#ck that, go for real stuff! I am burning rubber through three gears with an auto trans with my brenspeed tune. It took a half second off my 1320 time!! Got it?

patrick
Thanks for the headsup Patrick. I'm checkin out the Brenspeed CAI's. I'm salivating for that Saleen CAI. Is it worth the bread, or am I just paying so much more for the name? Or is it mainly most CAI's are quality, but it's the tune that really unlocks the power the of CAI? I'm debating over the Saleen and the Ford Racing CAI. As always thanks for the input.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Jer5757
1st Gear Member

most intakes are gonna deliver pretty similar power gains the tune is the most important part a place like brenspeed will give u what u want and u can always call them and just ask if it makes u feel better they carry so many different ones im sure they will tell u whats best for u
Old 12-12-2009, 03:55 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

I can only comment on the exhaust. I have the FRPP stingers, and I LOVE the sound. Its deep an throaty. It has a little bit of drone here and there but not bad at all. I wish I still had the website that had a bunch of axle back exhaust clips but I can't find it anymore. If you do a youtube search you can find a bunch of videos of different exhaust set-ups.

Quick Reply: Hey guys! Some exhaust & CAI Questions...